Chapter 24: Cocaine.

Chapter 24: Cocaine.

Walking into the club, I say hi to Stephanie as I walk past her. I see Barbie sitting on the stage and I walk up to her.

"Hey." I say, smiling at her.

"Jasmine? What are you doing here?" She asks me.

"Um, I work here." I joke.

"After what you went through last weekend you shouldn't be anywhere near this club." She tells me and I roll my eyes.

"I have to make money somehow." I tell her.

"I'm serious, Jaz. Being here will only trigger the trauma you've experienced." She says and I wave her off.

"I'm fine. Trust me." I assure her. "Stephanie told me I got my section back. Hope they didn't send you to section nine?" I ask her.

"No, they gave me my old section back too." She tells me and I nod.

"I'm gonna go get ready for tonight." I tell her

Barbie stops me from walking forward.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Be careful out there tonight." She tells me.

"I will." I say before I walk to the locker room. I prep for the night applying makeup to my face. I brush my purple wig and put it on. I stare at the mirror and I smile as tears cascade down my face. I smile harder and eventually start sobbing.

Great.

Now, I've ruined my makeup.

Wiping my face with my palm, I adjust my wig and fake a smile. My poker face is ready. Sliding out of the chair beside the vanity table, I head back into the club. It's jam-packed with people. Several people are waiting to see me at my section. That makes me happy. These people came all this way to watch me shake my ass on a pole. That's gotta count for something. Right?

I mount the stage and get on the pole. People cheer me on as I spin on the pole. I lose my balance and almost fall over. Thank God I didn't. I don't think anyone noticed because they are making it rain right now.

Counting my money at the end of the night is therapeutic for me. I stuff the wads of cash in my backpack and I zip it.

"You did pretty good today." I hear Christopher say and I look up.

He has a band-aid on his nose and a bruise on his cheek.

"What happened to you?" I ask him, analyzing his face.

"Business." He says, shrugging.

"What kind of business?" I ask, touching his cheek. He hisses as I touch the bruise.

"The kind of business you shouldn't be involved in. I'm handling it." He says and I scoff.

"Yeah, by getting yourself beat up." I quip.

"I'm trying my best." He says, through gritted teeth.

Why is he getting so upset?

"What is going on?" I ask him.

"If I tell you, there's no way for you to unknow. It's best if I keep this to myself." He says and I roll my eyes.

"I want to help with whatever's going on. I can take a few punches." I tell him and he shakes his head.

"I will never put you in harm's way like that." He tells me.

"Well, you're not putting me in harm's way. I'm putting myself there. Now, come on. Tell me." I push.