Chapter 37: Crown.

Chapter 37: Crown.

"Valedictorian?!!" I say, surprised.

"Yes, Miss Prentice. You've most certainly earned it." Mrs. Graves tells me. She's the school superintendent and I got the call that she wanted to see me.

"How? I don't mean to be rude, but I didn't even know I was doing that good." I tell her.

"Well, you were and this is the reward for that. You can collect your gown from my secretary and we'll see you on Saturday." She says, smiling at me.

"Thank you so much, you won't regret this." I tell her.

"I didn't plan on it." She replies.

I get up from the seat and walk out of her office. I find out where I'm supposed to get my gown from her secretary, Stephanie and I go there. After I collect my graduation gown and cap, I head to Richard's car.

He drove me here.

"Hey, how did it go?" He asks me as I get in the car.

"Really great. They chose me to be valedictorian." I reveal.

"That's amazing babe. I'm so proud of you." He says before he kisses my cheek.

"This was so unexpected." I tell him.

"Either way, it's a win. Celebrate that." He says and I nod.

My phone rings and I stare at the screen. It's Chanel. I'm supposed to meet her at the mall.

"She's calling, we better hurry." I tell Richard and he starts the car.

***

"Late again." Chanel says as I walk towards her with my graduation gown in my hand.

"Sorry, I got held up at school." I say, placing the gown on the white couch in the store.

"Prom is tomorrow. Don't you get that? It has to be perfect." She says and I chuckle.

"You better calm down before you pop that vein in your forehead." I tell her and she snacks my hand.

"Go try your dress please." She says and I nod.

"Yes, Mom." I quip.

Five minutes later, I walk out of the dressing room in my red gown. It has a halterneck and a corseted waist. I stand in front of the mirror and I smile at my reflection.

I look beautiful.

"Wow, Jaz." Chanel says, staring at me. "You look amazing."

"I feel amazing too. This dress really is a wonder." I say with a smile on my face.

"You're gonna be the prettiest date." She says and I nod.

"Christian better have our corsages ready." I tell her and she laughs.

"He knows how much prom means to me. He wouldn't dare forget." She tells me.

***

"I forgot to buy the corsages." Christian says and I put my face in my hand.

"What is your problem?" Chanel asks him as she smacks him with her silver purse.

She has on a blue shimmery dress and her hair is in a chignon bun. She looks elegant.

"It's fine. Don't kill your brother." I say, pulling Chanel away from him.

"Thanks." Christian says, nodding at me.

"And it doesn't matter if we have corsages or not. We're not the traditional prom dates. I mean, the three of us are literally going together. It doesn't get more non-conventional than that." I tell her.