Broken Heart Syndrome

Broken heart syndrome is a temporary heart condition that's often brought on by stressful situations and extreme emotions. Enjoy.

---------

Chaeyoung was running away from Mina. She didn't care that there was a storm happening, she wanted to be alone. Harshly wiping off her tears as she couldn't quite see the streets clearly. She was almost home when she suddenly felt a pain in her chest.

It was their 3rd year anniversary. They would always agree to meet up at their usual restaurant and have a nice, romantic dinner. But it was different today, and it wouldn't be one of their pleasant memories.

Mina works at a publishing firm, she likes books, so she pursued a job that she would love. Bambam was a new employee at their firm, and Mina immediately befriended him. On the day of their anniversary, Mina completely forgot about it, and even went to the restaurant with Bambam instead of Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung arrives with a ring onhand, and flowers. She was ready to propose to Mina. She was thinking about what to say up until she reached the entrance. She could see Mina laughing away with some guy, not a care in the world, through the window. Mina noticed Chaeyoung's presence, a soaking wet familiar figure just standing outside the restaurant, on the verge of crying.

As soon as Mina stood up, Chaeyoung threw the flowers on the ground, and ran as fast as she could. She reached their home but suddenly fainted upon reaching their door.

Mina got out of her car, carried Chaeyoung and rushed her to the hospital. The doctors said it was critical, had it been that Mina would've arrived a minute later, Chaeyoung would be pronounced dead.

A faint heartbeat can be shown in the heart monitor at Chaeyoung's room. Mina was holding her girlfriend's hand, when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Are you Ms. Myoui Mina?"

Mina nodded. She couldn't speak after everything that has happened.

"It appears to me that Ms. Son Chaeyoung experienced the Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, commonly known as Broken heart syndrome. She was on the verge of heart failure, but luckily you rushed her here on time."

"She will be back to normal by next month, as we still need to monitor the strength of her arteries as it may happen again. As of now, she is still sedated and might wake up tomorrow, you may rest now Ms. Myoui."

Mina thanked the doctors, and went back next to Chaeyoung's side. She had different tubes connected to her body, a familiar one that is used as she was too weak to breathe on her own.

"I'm so sorry my Chaeyoungie. It wasn't what you thought it was." Mina said while stroking Chaeyoung's head lightly, tears dripping down on her face.

"I don't like him that way, I only love you. Please wake up now, I miss you." Mina was leaning on Chaeyoung's chest, trying to listen to her heartbeat. It was a faint pattern, and Mina continued crying until she fell asleep on Chaeyoung's chest.

------

Chaeyoung woke up at the middle of the night. A couple of tubes connected to her hands and chest, a heart monitor, the on-call remote, and her girlfriend sleeping on top of her.

Chaeyoung couldn't speak. She tried waking Mina up as she was too weak from lifting her arms up, but no words came out of her mouth. She was still traumatized from what happened, and was thinking what might have been if she had proposed to Mina.

Mina eventually woke up and saw Chaeyoung staring at the ring box on her desk.

"Chaeng? Are you okay? Are you hurt? Can I get you anything? I'm so sorry." Mina kept spewing out words, but Chaeyoung couldn't reply. She could make nonsensical sounds and stare at Mina, like a child asking for help.