38 | grief

Jungkook got dropped off back at his apartment first thing in the morning the next day. Once inside, he checked the entire house and every single cupboard just to make sure that Taehyung actually left and all of this wasn't just some sick joke.

And unfortunately, it was true. All of his clothes and other belongings were gone. It was as if he was never really there, not a single trace left behind. Not even a single piece of paper explaining why and where the older left.

Jungkook guessed he could only blame himself for this and realised Taehyung didn't really owe him an explanation, but it hurt. It hurt so fucking much, and all he could do in that moment was sit on the floor and cry, because yet again, everything was messed up.

After some time there was a knock on the front door and Jungkook knew it must have been Jimin because when he didn't move an inch, the door opened anyway.

And indeed, almost immediately after that, Jimin popped his head inside the bedroom with Yoongi right behind to his surprise.

Jungkook quickly wiped his eyes and stood up, trying to make it look like he was fine, but once he felt Jimin wrap his arms around him in a tight hug, he broke down all over again.

"I just don't understand—" Jungkook let out a sob, his tears slowly falling onto the others shirt as he gripped it tightly and held him close. "I regret leaving, he wouldn't have left if I just stayed here." He felt pathetic.

Jimin wasn't sure what to say as he rubbed his back to try and comfort him. He knew just as much as the younger and wasn't really able to help in any way.

"He won't answer my calls and ignores all of my messages. Like I don't blame him I know that I fucked up too but I wish I knew if he's okay at least." Jungkook squeaked out, barely being able to speak while bawling his eyes out. He was really confused about the suddenness of the whole situation and it bothered him that he was so powerless. He knew there was nothing he could do to fix it. Not anymore.

"I'm sure he will get back to you eventually, just give him some time." Jimin tried reassuring him, but of course, no one could know for sure what would happen.

Jungkook cried for a while longer before calming down and eventually all three of them ended up watching a movie on the couch. Yoongi made a quick trip to the store to buy some snacks and hot chocolate, hoping to cheer the younger up since he wasn't as good with his words or physical affection like Jimin; but Jungkook really appreciated him and was glad to have him there.

_____________

Just like that, another month passed without a word from Taehyung. Jungkook anxiously waited every single day for any kind of reply and cried almost every night, he often slept in Taehyung's bed to feel some kind of presence from him and feel his scent that he missed so much. It was hard adapting to this new situation and it didn't help that Jungkook worried himself to death that something bad could have happened to the older. He imagined that Taehyung might have felt the same when he was the one that got left alone, which only worsened his guilt.

One evening after work he got a call from an unknown number. Jungkook was the type of person who didn't pick up his phone if he didn't know who it was, but he had a gut feeling that he should do it this time, especially since he was hoping that it might have something to do with Taehyung.

"Hello?" He finally picked up, his heart rate speeding up from nervousness.

"Hi is this you Jungkook?" A woman's voice asked and Jungkook was disappointed not to hear Taehyung, but he felt like the voice sounded familiar.

"Yes that's me.. who is this?"

"Oh! So sorry darling you mustn't have my number saved, it's Kim Soojin. I apologise for calling you so abruptly but there is something I wanted to talk to you about."

Taehyung's mother?!

"Mrs Kim? Oh please don't apologise! D—did something happen?" Jungkook was now sitting down and gripping his thigh in anticipation. What on earth would Taehyung's mom call him about?! At this point he was getting ready to only hear the worst news.

"Please don't worry, nothing bad has happened. I know that you and Taehyung haven't been speaking and I understand he will be mad at me for contacting you without his knowledge, but I wanted to let you know that he's been staying with us ever since he left your shared apartment. I don't exactly know all of the details about what had happened between the two of you, but all I know is that Taehyung is really hurting and it would be a good idea if you just talked it out."

So he didn't leave the country after all??

Jungkook felt like a huge stone just fell from his heart as his eyes welled up with tears. "Oh my god.. I'm so glad to hear that he's okay, I was so worried about him. I'm ready to get on a train to Daegu as soon as possible if that's okay with you Mrs Kim." Jungkook wiped his eyes and sighed in relief, finally feeling like he can breathe again.

"Yes I think it was very irresponsible of him to not notify you about where he was, I saw all the missed calls from you on his phone and just decided to speak to you myself. Please do not worry about paying for the train ticket, I will sort everything out for you and pick you up from the train station once you arrive."

"Oh no that's okay—"

"Please I insist. At least I can repay you for making you come all the way down here in the first place, I know that you must have been struggling with the bills all on your own for this month so it's my way of helping out."

Jungkook couldn't be more grateful. "Thank you so so much Mrs Kim.. for everything. Truly."

"It is no problem at all— oh and please just call me Soojin. See you soon darling, have a safe trip." And with that she hung up.

Jungkook didn't know if he should be nervous or happy that he will finally get to face Taehyung after two whole months. But he knew it wasn't going to be easy.

He immediately started packing.

___________________________

hey guys how's everyone doing??

i know that i have been gone for a looong time once again but i bring good news, which is that this book is soon coming to an end! it is quite hard to write endings though, so please be patient with me and i will try my best to do this well :)

my writing is getting rusty so i'm sorry if this book feels like it's half-assed at this point.. i truly don't have the passion for it like i once did, but i promise that i will finish it for you guys! some honest opinions and critique would be nice so please do let me know if there's anything that should be brought to my attention!

lastly i wanted to thank all of you for almost 300k reads :0 that's insane !!!!

take care everyone <3