Chapter Twenty-Six

How are you liking the story so far? Is it going too fast? Too confusing? Too much going on? Let me know! <3

---------

"You're kidding," I say.

Niall is staring at me with red eyes. He looks like he's been crying. There's not a scratch on him from the incident last night. Not a cast or brace to be found.

"Emily, just listen. I'm here to confess. Please."

"Before, you say another word, do not start any fights or do anything crazy. I'll go ahead and say it now; I'm having lunch with Louis. He's in the bathroom right now."

"What?! Why are you with him?!"

"Calm down. It's only as a friend. He did it to make up for what happened yesterday."

"Can we talk somewhere else?" Niall says.

"I don't want to talk to you at all."

"Emily, please. I want to tell you the truth."

"You've had many opportunities to tell the truth, but you haven't so why should I believe you now? Nothing has changed with you and it probably never will. Fuck off."

"Emily..."

"Niall, just go. How many times do I have to tell you that I'm done?"

"Give me five minutes. Please..."

Niall places his hand on my shoulder and I push it off.

"No!" I yell, "You need to leave. Do not start anything when Louis comes out. Promise me that."

"Okay, I won't. I promise," he says.

"Niall, please leave now."

"Can I have a hug before I go?"

"No."

"Just one hug won't hurt Emily, please?" he says.

"Niall..."

"Please?"

"Okay...I guess."

Niall holds his arms out and comes closer to me then embraces me in a tight hug. I close my eyes. His body is warm through his tee-shirt. His muscular arms feel good around my body. His hair is soft against my cheek.

A flood of emotions and memories pour into my mind. Niall telling me I'm the most beautiful girl he's ever seen in his entire life. Niall's cheeks turning red when asking me on a date. Niall giving me flowers when picking me up at my house. Niall holding my hand at the restaurant. Niall carrying me down the sidewalk when my feet hurt. Niall not leaving me when I blew him off. Niall whispering into my ear during marketing class. Niall protecting me when I thought I was being taken advantage of.

"Emily," he says letting go of me, "I made a huge mistake. You don't deserve a piece of shit guy like me. I was too stupid to realize that you were different."

"Niall...I let you use me from the day that we first met."

"I know and I'm sorry," he says making eye contact with me.

"I don't think I can ever forgive you. I've never had a relationship with a guy before. I thought I finally found one, but it was all a lie. What I don't understand is why? What did you gain from it? Why pretend to like me when you had been dating Melissa the entire time? Why take me out on that fancy dinner when you already had a girlfriend? Why?"

Niall starts to cry.

"I was stupid, okay? And it doesn't matter anymore because she dumped me today."