Chapter Five

Niall drives a sleek, black BMW sedan. Either him or his family must have a lot of money. Luckily, he doesn't notice my small, cheap Honda right next to his.

He opens the passenger door for me and I hold the bottom of my dress as I step into the car. The car has leather interior and everthing is black inside.

He enters the car and he looks over at me and says, "Are you ready Emily?"

"Yes, I'm ready."

"Okay, let's go then."

He starts the car and the sound of the engine starting is beautiful and the car drives so smoothly and quietly. I'm so used to my car almost not starting each time and the wheels and brakes being so loud.

He drives with only one hand on the wheel which scares me, but I don't say anything about it because he looks so attractive while doing it.

The car ride is quiet until we reach downtown Chicago and he speaks.

"Downtown is nice isn't it?"

"Yeah I haven't been in years though."

"Really? Why is that?"

It's true. I rarely leave my apartment unless it's to go to the grocery store down the street or to visit my family in the Chicago suburbs.

"Yeah...It's...just...I don't go out much...and...yeah...I know I'm weird...it's just..." I trail off and look out of the window.

I feel a hand touch my thigh and squeeze it and my eyes grow wide and I gasp.

Why did I have to gasp again?

"Fuck, shit. I did it again. I bet you think I'm a creep. I'm so sorry Emily. I want to say not to feel bad about anything because it doesn't matter and we are going out tonight and hopefully you have fun with me!"

I look at him and it seems his smile lights up the car. Why does he have such a great attitude about everything?

We arrive at the restaurant in downtown. We enter and the restaurant is full of people and it is very loud which makes me uncomfortable. Niall is holding my hand. Why is he holding my hand? I keep forgetting we just met today.

"Rooftop reservations for two, under Horan." Niall says to the petite hostess.

We follow the hostess up some stairs and enter the roof of the building. The rooftop is beautiful. There are only a few tables and they are small with one candle as the centerpiece. The tables and chairs are high because of the view. There is small extension on one side of the roof with one table on it. Looking one way from the table, is a perfect view of downtown Chicago with all of it's skyscrapers, city streets, and cars. Looking in the other direction, is an impeccable view of Lake Michigan. At this time, the lake glistens in the moonlight.

I come back to my senses and I realize we are sitting at that table.

I am so confused. I just met this guy today, he is my boss, and I barely know him. And now we're at a restaurant that has to have the best view in all of Chicago. Is this normal for a first date?

"It's nice here isn't it?" Niall speaks and interrupts my thoughts.

"Yes. It's beautiful up here. Excuse me, I'm sorry, but I have to use the restroom."

"Okay." he says and he looks into my eyes and smiles. He's so beautiful.

I walk down the stairs and I pass by a couple walking up the stairs. I overhear their conversation.

"I'm surprised you got reservations." the woman says.

"Yeah, I know, I guess they were right when they said that you have to call in a week ahead of time."

What?

My heart stops and I freeze in my tracks. My mind can't take this anymore. He didn't even know me a week ago. How could he have made reservations? My head is spinning as I make my way towards the bathroom. I need to get my mind straight before I head back to the table.

I finish in the bathroom and make my way back to our table. He is staring out towards the lake with a deep, mysterious look on his face. What is he thinking about?

"You're back! Come sit!" he laughs and uses his infectious smile to make me smile and I sit down with him.

My smile fades as my thoughts return to my confusion of being here.

"Something wrong Emily?" he says as he looks at me with concerned eyes.

"What is this?" I blurt out.

"What do you mean? Is it something I said?"

"How did you get reservations here? You only met me today and I heard someone say you have to reserve a week ahead of time and this is a first date and-"

"Let's just say I am close with the owner. Haha."

What does that mean?

"Oh." is all I can say.

"There he is is right now."

I look over my shoulder and see a young man walking towards us and he is wiping his hands on his apron.

Niall stands up and hugs the guy. Niall then puts the young guy in a headlock and digs his fist into his head and laughs loudly and obnoxiously. Niall lets go of the young man's head and looks at me while the guy stands up, laughs, and pushes his hair above his head.

"Emily, this is my brother, Harry."