Chapter Three

What?

Did I hear that correctly? Did Niall, my boss, just say I'm beautiful? I have never viewed myself as being attractive. The only people to every call me pretty is my family. I have never had a boyfriend or even a guy talk to me, so this is a huge surprise. What does he see in me?

"Emily...Emily!" He yells in the previously quiet hallway.

"Yes?"

"Did you even hear what I said?"

"Yeah, it's just that sometimes my mind wanders. I'm sorry." I awkwardly smile in embarrasment.

"That may be the longest sentence you've said to me all day." He looks into my eyes and smiles.

I smile back at him, but I am still confused as to why he said called me beautiful.

"So?" Niall interrupts.

"So...what?"

"Nothing...Uh...I don't know..." Niall looks away and his cheeks turn red as he runs his hand through his hair.

I don't know how to respond so I just stare at him and smile.

"Well maybe we should get back to orientation I guess," Niall says and scratches the back of his neck.

Great. Now I made him uncomfortable and he probably hates me. Good job Emily.

I follow him back into the room and return to my seat. I remain silent in my chair as Niall gets his materials from his briefcase.

I notice my co-worker Susan staring at me with her eyebrows raised.

"So what happened out there?" she asks.

"Nothing. He was just surprised that I was hired so young, but I can say the same thing about him. Haha." I smile and Susan laughs. I can't tell if it's a genuine laugh or an 'I don't believe a word you're saying' laugh. It's probably the second.

After our awkward encounter in the hallway, Niall begins to talk about what it means to work here and what we will be accomplishing here, then I start to zone out.

I keep staring at him while he speaks. The way his mouth moves when he talks is so attractive to me. The way the top of his hair shakes subtlety with each step he takes. I even notice how he keeps scratching at the sides of his fingers. His hands are huge. His fingers are so long and his palms seems to be exceedingly wide. What would it feel like for his hands to be on-

Emily! He is your boss!

But he thinks I'm beautiful.

Maybe he just said that to make me less nervous.

Or maybe he meant it?

My mind can't decide whether Niall is genuine or not.

As I'm staring down at his toned muscular legs through his tight suit, I notice his knees are pointing in my direction. I look up and he is staring directly at me.

He bites his lips and chuckles.

"Today isn't looking good for you...miss...uh...Emily," he peers at my name tag even though he knows my name, "you can't seem to pay attention!" He laughs and as my co-workers look at me with annoyed looks.

Why do I always have to fuck everything up?

"I...Um..." I say as tears begin to pool in my eyes. Fuck. I'm crying. I told myself I wouldn't cry if things went really bad but I can't help it. I'm ruining everything for my co-workers and my boss. I'm such a fucking mess. He's probably going to fire me on the first day. Why does he have to be my boss? Why couldn't my boss be some old, bald guy?