Chapter Nine

Stephanie raises her hands and shakes them as she speaks.

"Emily, so what do you already know about them?"

"Well Niall is my boss at my new job." I respond.

"You work at Smith Medicine?!" She yells causing a few heads to turn in our direction.

"Yeah, why?"

"That's amazing! You are so young! I heard that Niall became the new VP of Marketing there, but everyone is saying it's because of his parents but I don't know."

"Parents?" I say with a confused look on my face.

"Oh yeah, back to their backstory." she says as her previously overly joyous face morphs into a serious look.

"Okay. So there are five of them." she begins.

"What do you mean five of them?"

"They are all brothers. Niall, Harry, Zayn, Liam, and Louis. They are all also unbelievably gorgeous, the reason they don't look anything alike is because they were all adopted at a young age by two absurdly wealthy entrepeneurs that lived here in Chicago. Some say they were multi-billionaires and that they were the first couple in history to both be on the Forbes 400 Richest People in America list, but I'm not sure if it's true or not."

"Oh my god." I say with a mouth wide open.

"Harry, Louis, Liam, and Zayn were all adopted from England with Niall being the exception being adopted from Ireland. Since they were adopted so young and are all within two years apart in age, they were very close as children and were the poster childs of America of what perfect children should be like. Their family was always in the media for many various accomplishments. They also got anything they wanted because their parents had so much money. For Louis' 16th birthday, his parents bought him a solid gold lambroghini."

My eyes grow wide.

"Louis is the oldest, followed by Zayn, then Liam, then Niall, and Harry is the baby of the bunch. The family lived happy lives for many years until the unspeakable happened. On Christmas Eve three years ago, on Louis' birthday, Mr. and Mrs. Whittaker died horribly in a car accident on their way home from last minute Christmas shopping."

Tears begin creep their way into my eyes.

"That night, police came to their house and knocked on their door. Niall answered the door and saw the police standing there with sad eyes looking as if he was bearing bad news. Niall ran back inside the house and gathered his brothers and brought them to the door. 'What's wrong officer?' Louis said oblivious to the bad news that awaited him. 'Boys,' the officer looked down as he began, 'your parents were just in a car accident.' From what I heard, Niall then ran back into the house as him and his brother's began to cry. 'So where are they now?' Liam said with tears flowing down his cheeks. 'Sorry kid, but they didn't make it.' The officer said as he turned away from the door."

"Oh...my...god..." I say as I bury my face in my hands.

"I know, it's horrible isn't it." Stephanie says as she wipes tears from her eyes.

"Even the people you think are the happiest in life, can also be the ones to face the worst demons." Stephanie says and it makes me cry even more.

I feel so bad beacause I treated Niall like shit. I wish I would have known everything that he's been through and maybe I wouldn't have been so harsh on him.

"So what happened next? I say as I slowly raise my face from my hands.

"At the time, Harry was only seventeen, Liam, Zayn, and Niall eighteen, and Louis nineteen, all seniors in high school due to their parents starting them at school in the same grade despite their difference in ages. Then, from what I heard, they all flipped out. Rumor has it that they all turned against Liam because he was the one who said at the last minute he wanted the limited edition Jordan's causing his parents to go out and buy them. Soon after, they were separated and moved into the different home's of their parents friends that were willing to take in an angry teenager into their families. What surprised me, is that each of them changed their last names to be the same as their "new parents" to cut themselves off from their past lives resulting in their names being Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, and Niall Horan."