Reason for Being

As Madhu descends the stairs, she sees her little Tara laughing and playing. She is a little angel. Madhu smiles thinking, she is a bit naughty, as all four year olds are, but an absolute doll, especially in her pink tutu skirt. With her cherubic little face, large doe like eyes, bouncy jet black hair and her vivacious personality she is just like her mother. She is the ONLY sparkling joy in her life.

They bought this charming house a year ago and the renovations to update and modernize all the amenities took better part of the year. After a lot of cajoling, they convinced Ma, Malik and Roma to move in with them.

Tara sees Madhu and screams and runs up to her. Madhu picks her up and kisses her cheeks.

Tara: Good morning Mima!

Madhu: Good morning babyta!

Tara (giggling): Mima...! I am not a baby anymore! I am a big girl now. I am (holding up 4 adorable little fingers) 4!

Madhu puts her back down on the floor and ruffles her hair affectionately.

Madhu: Sweetie...even if you're 40, you'll always be my babyta.

Tara (wrinkles her nose in distaste): Ewww Mima! 40 is soooo old!

Looking at Tara, unbidden tears formed in Madhu's eyes. She thinks back to dreams that she weaved with RK. Of living in their own little sweet world, forming a family. How they used to joke that they will have two adorable little girls, just like Tara and one naughty little boy. A little boy, just like RK who would turn Madhu's hair grey but also would love her fiercely. But it was all just a dream, and like all dreams it poofed and disappeared. After all, it was all based on a lie. A lie, pyaar ka natak. Madhu took a deep breath and angrily wiped away her tears.

Enough Madhu! Stop thinking about that rakshas, that janwar. It has so many years, bhul jao! Stop punishing yourself by thinking about him...he's not worth your tears.

Tara has been trying to get Madhu's attention for the last few minutes, pulling at her skirt.

Tara (almost crying): Mima! Mima! Mima!

Madhu shakes herself out of her sad, painful thoughts and notice Tara is on the verge of tears, trying to get her attention. She bends down and kisses her cheeks.

Madhu: Sorry baby...mima...was just thinking about something. What does my Babyta want?

Tara: Mima...please tell mama that I don't want cereal. (Makes a face) Yuck! I want jalebis! Please mima...pretty pretty please!

Madhu laughs, how can she ignore such a cute request? She takes Tara's hands.

Madhu: Come sweetie. Let's go tell mama...that we don't want any yucky cereal...no...for my sweet babyta...only jalebis will do.

Tara jumps up and down with excitement and grabs Madhu's hands and leads her to the kitchen. Khushi awaits them with her hands on her hips, tapping her feet. Uhh Ohh...they are in big trouble.

Khushi is impeccably dressed in a black pant suit, metallic Stuart Weitzman pumps and a string of pearls around her neck. She looks like a consummate professional, quite unlike her previous avatar.

She has her hands on her hips and frowns at the two most important people in her life. Khushi has been waiting in their newly renovated kitchen for a while. Khushi: Madhu...don't even try...! Tara...come have your breakfast.

Madhu: Awww...Khushi...maan jao na yaar. The little angel is asking so cutely for jalebis... (Smiling) And I want some of the crispy sweetness too.

Tara: Yes mama...! I don't cereal... please...pretty please...mujhe jalebis chaiye. (I want jalebis.) Please mama...you're the best mama in the whole wide world!

Tara runs to Khushi and raises her arms up, wanting to be picked up. How can Khushi resist her adorable baby? She picks her up and kisses her cheeks.

Khushi: Baby you want to grow up to be a big girl don't you?

Tara: Mama...I am already a big girl. Aap bhul gaya? (Did you forget?) I am 4 years old. (Holding up 4 fingers)

Khushi: Yes baby...but don't you want to grow bigger? Like mama? (Conspiratorially) Then you can wear all of mama's and mima's clothes, shoes and jewelries. You can play dress up...won't that be fun baccha?

Madhu: Babyta...dress up...we'll have so much fun. Mima will put on makeup for you...you'll be our little model, have your very own photo shoot.

Tara (excited): Dress up mama? Mima? I want to play dress up...! I want to wear your shoes, put on makeup...I am a big girl now...!

Khushi: Baby...if you eat your cereal...and finish all the milk. Because good girls drink milk, so they can grow up. We'll let you play. Jaldi baccha. We also have to go to school.

Tara: Mama...deal...but only if you let me eat jalebis tonight. Okay??

In moments like this, Tara is just like her father. Always ready to make a deal. Khushi's eyes fills with tears. She remembers clear as day, the night of the bachelor's party. Arnav made her feel so special. Promises were made, both said and unsaid. Cocooned in their own little world, they became one. She can still feel his touches and kisses as he made love to her. Her cry of ecstasy as they became one. It was a special beautiful night, filled with promises.

But the promises were broken. Kiyun? Why are you still thinking about Arnav Singh Raizada? You don't mean anything to him! He never thought much about you! To him, I was always the low, middle class, gold-digger out to ensnare a rich husband. Bhul jao oos rakshas ko. Why do you keep torturing yourself thinking about him?

She takes a deep breath and looks at Madhu. Madhu senses Khushi's inner turmoil. They speak to each other, through their eyes. Giving each other the strength to carry on with their lives.

Khushi smiles and picks Tara up and sits her on the table.

Khushi: Eat your breakfast baby. You have to go to school and mama and mima to work.