Painful Past

Delhi - Shantivan

Arnav is staring deeply into the pool, to find solace to his inner turmoil. He can't believe he saw Khushi after 5 long, unbearable years. A reunion he had hoped and prayed for all these years.

Damn! But she wants a divorce? What the...! Dammit! Why doesn't she understand that I love her?!?

Arnav stands up and paces up and down the poolside like a caged lion. His fists and jaw clenched, his eyes radiating his anger and frustration. He closes his eyes in pain.

Khushi...I am sorry for hurting you. I know I gave you a lot of pain. But please forgive me. I just want you back in my life, to hold and love you. Life without you has been unbearable. Please come back to me. I know you think I left you for...what happened in the past, but that's not the truth. Babes...I wanted to protect you.

Flashback

Gently floating back to earth, Khushi and Arnav lay peacefully in each other's arms, after their bout of lovemaking. She has her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeats. Dhak dhak dhak...their hearts beat at the same rhythm. Deliriously happy, Khushi sinks in deeper on his chest. Arnav kisses her forehead and tips her chin up so he can look into her brilliant eyes.

Arnav: Khushi...are you ok?

Khushi leans up and gently brushes her lips against his. She falls back and shyly smiles at him.

Khushi (shyly): Arnavji...I am fine. More than ok.

Arnav: Are you sure? I mean...I know you don't believe in...

Khushi (interrupting): I trust you.

Arnav gently caresses Khushi's face and leans up to kiss her in a seal of promise. But he looks up to see the precarious light fixture falling. He quickly grabs Khushi and rolls away, saving them both just in the nick of time. For a moment, they stare at horror at the fixture. Khushi says a quick thank you to her Devi Maiyya for protecting them. This incident snaps them back to reality. It's the night before their remarriage! They are NOT supposed to be together. Reluctantly they put on their discarded clothes.

Hand in hand, they walk out of the farm house to be greeted by a bizarre, grotesque scene. At least a dozen, mutilated rats scattered outside, near the car.

Arnav: What the...!

Khushi: Hai Devi Maiyya! How did this happen?!?

Arnav: I don't know...but...

Khushi (sadly): Poor rats...I am sure they were attacked by a coyote or wolf or wolves. Still...so many rats?

Arnav (in deep thought): Hmmm....

Khushi: Arnavji...please I am really scared. Let's go from here please. (Picturing herself getting mauled by wolves) Hai Devi Maiyya raksha karna! (Biting her fingernails) Arnavji please please let's go before they come back!

Arnav drives Khushi back to Gupta house. A storm is coming and wind has picked. Arnav wraps his arms around Khushi and escorts her to the door. He hugs her and lightly kisses her on the lips and turns around to leave. Just then a substantial piece of rock lands right at Khushi's feet. She squeals in terror and jumps into Arnav's arms. Shivering in fear, he rubs her back in a calming manner as he showers her face with kisses. Finally calming down a bit, she steps away from Arnav again and slightly smiles at him.

Khushi: Arnavji...(looking at the miscreant tree branch) looks like a storm is brewing. Please drive carefully! Message me when you get to Shantivan. Please...

Arnav nods his head and leaves, deep in thought. Once is an occurrence, twice is a coincidence but thrice in an hour something odd?

Flashback Ends

Arnav stalks over to his closet and opens up his safe. He takes out a wrinkled, piece of paper. The note was written in blood, now dried and slightly faded.

The contents of the note:

Keep your eyes open. Keep your ears pricked. Keep looking around you. I will sneak up when you least expect it. You have sinned and you must pay. How you pay, the choice is yours. Either you leave your wife and live a lonely, miserable life. Or you'll pay the biggest price. Her life! I will take great pleasure in ending her life. HAHAHAHAHA....! The Choice is Yours, Arnav Singh Raizada! FYI, the light fixture, the dead rats and the branch are no coincidence.

Happy deciding.

Yours,

Number One Fan, Not

He crumbles the piece of paper in his fist. Arnav burns with rage, every time he reads this detestable note that ruined his life. That took away his Khushi.