The Interrogation

Silence. Total, complete and utter silence reigns in the hall after Tara's question. Arnav and RK are completely aghast at the little angel's question and they glare at their better halves. Khushi and Madhu are quite red with embarrassment. It never occurred to them that Tara has been picking up on their conversations.

Khushi (clears her throat): Baby where did you hear that?

Tara (hands on hips): I heard you and Mima talk.

Madhu: Tara sweetie...it's...(searching for words) really...mmm...not what you think. Mmm...

Tara turns towards Arnav and RK, hands still on hips and glares at the poor, beyond shocked men.

Tara (angry): So you two hurt my Mama and Mima?

Arnav and RK open their mouths to talk but can't get any words out. How does one respond to such a question? Especially when posed by a child so young. One's own child, in Arnav's case! They close their mouth as they realized that they have nothing to say. What can they say that would make sense to a little girl? They can't even get their wives to understand!

Tara marches up to the family room. She turns back to see if Arnav and RK are following her. Exasperated, she stomps her feet.

Tara: Hello...misters! Follow me!

Khushi and Madhu (together, both horrified): Why?!?

Tara: Cuz I need to talk to them...in private.

Khushi and Madhu: But...

Arnav and RK walk up to the family room door and follow the child inside. Once they are in, Tara closes the door.

Be careful gentlemen! This little imp may be 4, but she's a skilled interrogator!

Tara (to Arnav): So you're my Mama's husband?

Arnav: Your papa too baby...

Tara does not acknowledge that statement. She needs answers!

Tara (to RK): And you're my Mima's husband?

RK (crouches down to be the same eye level as Tara): Yes...kiddo. And I am your uncle and friend too.

Tara (to both): Why did you leave them? (to Arnav, with tears in her eyes) Did you leave Mama because you didn't want me?

It broke Arnav's heart to hear his baby girl ask that question. He crouches down next to RK and cups Tara's face.

Arnav: Baby I didn't know about you till today. But I already love you...I know you're the sweetest, smartest and most beautiful daughter a father can ever ask for.

RK: It's true baby girl. (Sighs) I am heartbroken that I am not your father. But I hope you'll let me be your uncle and friend?

Tara: But you still haven't answered...why did you leave my Mama and Mima? They were so hurt... they don't think I pay attention. But I do...I am a big girl now...I understand things. They still cry...they don't know that I can see or hear them...I don't like it when they cry. Why did you hurt them?

Arnav: Baby...I never wanted to make your Mama cry. I love her and I love you. I...I...broke off with your Mama so I can protect her from harm. You want your Mama safe, don't you? Do you trust your papa?

RK: Sweetie...I too left your Mima to protect her from harm. I love her...I couldn't take the chance. And I love you too...you believe me don't you?

Tara looks deep into their eyes and deliberates for long minutes. It's about her Mama and Mima...she can't make a decision so lightly!

Tara (smiling at them): Yes...I believe you.

Arnav pulls his daughter into a tight hug and kisses the top of her head. His tears barely held back, as he's finally getting to hold his baby girl.

Tara squirms back from the hug. Missy is not done yet!

Tara (hands on hips): Before I help you win my Mama and Mima back you have to make several promises. Ok?

Aranv and RK: Done!

Tara (stomps her feet and pouts): Hello...! You need to listen to me first! Mama and Mima always say an agreement should be in writing. I am a big girl...and smart too...I want it in writing.

Arnav and RK stare back at this spirited little creature in awe. She's definitely a smart little cookie. Written agreement...what other 4 year olds think of that?

She points out where the pen and paper are kept in the room. Once the men get the papers, they wait patiently for the little one to start listing her commandments.

Tara (dictating to both): Number 1. I want promise that you won't ever hurt my Mama and Mima again. Number 2. Promise to give them a pretty wedding. And I get to be the flower girl! Number 3. Get me a puppy. Number 4. Bring me chocolates every day. Number 5. Take me to Disneyland. Number 6. Let Mama and Mima keep their jobs. They are smart girls you know. (Hold her hands wide) I want to just like then when I grow up!

Arnav (laughs): That's an interesting list baby.

Tara: You've got to promise...or...I won't talk to you...or help with Mama. Promise...promise...sign...sign!

RK (signing the piece of paper): Here you go my little darling...I promise to do everything states above. Especially getting you a puppy!

Tara jumps into RK's arms and kisses his cheeks. She giggles when he kisses her back.

Tara: You're the best! I'll help you win my Mima back, ok? I love you... Superstar!

RK: I love you too my little star!

Arnav (pouts): I signed and promised too. Don't I get a hug?

Tara laughs and goes into Arnav's arms. He holds her close to his heart. Arnav has lots of hugs and kisses to make up for these lost years.

Tara (kissing his cheeks): I'll help you too! Love you...daddy!

Arnav smiles through his tears. Daddy. The most beautiful and awaited word out of his angel's mouth. Daddy.

Arnav (kissing her back): I love you too... baby! Now shall we go back out before your Mama and Mima comes running in here?

Tara smiles and holds up her hands to the two men who have now become an important part of her life. She lets them escort her out. But she stops at the door, puts her hands on her hips and faces RK.

Tara: Don't forget our previous contract. You still have to introduce me to my Ranbir Kapoor.

Arnav: Ranbir Kapoor?

Tara: Yes daddy...he's my RK...and I am going to marry him when I grow up!

Author's Note: Please comment and vote. Thanks.