House of Hope

Next Day – Afternoon

Madhu is on a mission!  Her heels clicks decisively up the steps of the Gothic inspired police headquarter.  Yes indeed she is on a mission to have a "chat" with the Senior Police Inspector handling the rape case of the girls in House of Hope.  The girl was raped, brutally beaten and left to die on the streets.  Much like her sister Trishna.  But Priya luckily survived and Madhu will fight for her to get justice!  She walks into the impressive building and glare at one of the junior constable.

Madhu (authoritative voice):  I want to speak to Inspector Tiwari right this instance!

The poor constable cowers under her penetrating gaze.  He has had quite a few dealings with Madhu and has no wish to be the victim of her scorching ire.  However, neither does he wish to incur the wrath of his boss.  Inspector Tiwari will flay him alive if he lets Ms. Malik get through.

Constable (slight tremor in his voice):  Ma'am.  Inspector Tiwari is not in office.  (Helpfully) I can direct you to other inspectors or take a message for him?

Madhu (snaps):  Officer.  Stop wasting my and your time with lies.  I know Inspector Tiwari is in the building.  In fact, he is in office probably sitting down enjoying a good cup of tea.  So be a good boy and escort me into see him in a civilized manner.  Or I will storm in there myself and I assure I will make a great deal of noise.  Your boss will not be too happy if that scene plays out.  So you have less than a minute to make your decision.

The poor constable swallows visibly.  He has had dealings with Ms. Malik for over 2 years now and he knows that she is more than capable of following through with her threats.

Madhu (looks at her watch):  Tick...tock..tick...tock...make your decision quick officer.

He jumps up from his desk and shows Madhu the way to the inspector's office.  Bracing himself, he gets ready to announce her entrance.  However, she storms in and slams her hands down on the inspector's impressive, mahogany desk.  Inspector Tiwari looks up in surprise from a document he was reviewing.

Tiwari (sighing loudly):  Ms. Malik.  What a surprise...please take a seat.

Madhu (hands still braced on the desk):  Inspector!  I am not here for chit chat.  Why did you close Priya's case?

Tiwari:  There was not enough evidence to continue with the investigation.

Madhu:  Inspector...I may have believed that particular line if it was my first time dealing with a rape case.  But it's not!  There were PLENTY of evidences!  In addition to the **** found in her ****, you had skin from her beneath her fingernails to run DNA test to find the culprits!

Tiwari:  They were incomplete and did not generate any match in our database.

Madhu:  That's ridiculous!  Even if it's an incomplete match...that is no reason to stop an investigation!  What about the witness?  He saw all the rapists face as they assaulted Priya.  He could have testified!

Tiwari (patiently):  The witness no longer wishes to testify.

Madhu (interrupts):  Probably because he fears for his life.  Did you offer him witness protection?!?

Tiwari (slowly losing his patience):  He refused.  Says he didn't see anything and that he was mistaken.  Look if new evidence comes up then we will reopen the case.  But for now, with no new leads, it will remain closed.

Madhu:  Dammit!  You should have convinced him!  How can you just let the witness retract his statement?!?

Tiwari (angrily):  Ms. Malik I appreciate your enthusiasm to help us solve a case but we do know what we are doing.  So kindly please let us do our job.