Chapter SEVENTY

Alexandrea's P.O.V

“I will live in your thoughts and linger in your memories. The scars will never disappear neither will the bruises. They will always be there to remind you of me.”…..“Slowly, you will loose your ability to move and slowly, you will loose yourself too”….. “I have one more surprise for you before I get to touch you every way I have imagined”….. “I can do whatever I want with you. Whenever I want and that’s because you belong to me”….”There is nowhere you can run to my princess—”

“Please….” I cried as Axel’s voice kept echoing those sentences in my head. I couldn’t shut the voices out so they became louder. “No one can touch you like I do”…..”Right, princess? ”

“No, please….NO!!!!!” I yelled opening my eyes, breathing heavily. I looked around and realized I was in the hospital. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I flinched meeting the worried gaze of the nurse. Her eyebrows furrowed further as I started crying. She pulled me into a hug and I didn’t resist.

“Oh dear, it’s alright. It was just a nightmare. You’re fine honey, you’re safe now” she assured me. That was it. That was really what I needed to hear. That I’m safe and that he can’t come near me or hurt me anymore.

She let me go and smiled softly at me, wiping her thumbs across my cheeks to clean the tears. I glanced at her name tag. Amelia. I got a proper look at her face. She looked around my mom’s age with ginger colored hair that stopped above her shoulders. She was pretty, no doubt. I smiled back at her gratefully.

“Thank you, Amelia” I sniffed and sat up. My hair was wrapped inside a shower cap and I was dressed in a hospital gown. “What happened? What about the others?” I asked, suddenly remembering  what happened before I ended up here.

The ambulance brought you here. I saw the scars and bruises...." She said and I looked down at my fingers. "Did he do that to you? Axel" she asked. I didn't answer. "Don't worry, he's under police custody and would pay for what he did. He won't get away with it" she added.

She sighed and she patted my head comfortingly. The door suddenly flung open and another nurse barged in breathing heavily. She looked like she had been running "Nurse Amelia, Doctor Steve needs your attention. The patient in the theatre is undergoing hemodynamic perturbation!" she said, her chest rising up and down in her shirt white gown.

Nurse Amelia eyes widened and she rushed out of my room with the other nurse. I was suddenly curious. Wait, how are the others? Oh God...what about Nick? Is he okay?

"Shit" I removed the IV connected to my hand, hissing in pain and got down from the bed. I have to see if they're okay. I felt a little light headed as my feet touched the ground. Finding a pair of black Crocs by my bed side, I put them on and rushed out of my room.

I ended up in the hallway as I stepped out if my room. Patients were scattered in the hallway, going about their business but I couldn't seem to find any nurse. Ugh ! What direction do I go now? Right or left? I bit my lower lip as my gaze dances from one side to the other.

I turned to my right and started walking. Hopefully, I might run into a nurse or a doctor. I started feeling lightheaded again and leaned by the wall, taking slow breaths. What if something happened to Nick? What if he didn't survive- No! Be optimistic, Alex. He's fine. He will be fine. My friends will be fine. My mom will be fine. I will be fine.

With that, I pushed myself away from the wall and continued walking. I finally ended up in an open space with black reception chairs arranged in rows and columns. This is definitely the reception. I spotted a lady dressed in a nurse attire by a long table at a corner. Definitely the receptionist.

I walked over to her in quick paces. "Hi" I greeted catching her attention. She smiled at me and I smiled back.

"How can I help you?" She asked, her gaze dropping to my hand and back to my face.

"Urm...I wanted to ask if my friends were okay" I said and realized how stupid that sounded. There are probably a thousand patients here and I expect her to know me or my friends. Smart move, Alex.

"What is you room number please?" She asked and brought out a large and rusty book, flipping through it.

"Urm, I don't know. I didn't check" I answered and she bit her lower lip, glancing at my hand again.

"What is your name?" She asked again and I opened my mouth to answer but the light headedness hit me again. I grabbed her table, leaning on it and shutting my eyes. "What's wrong ma'am?" The receptionist asked and I shook my head.

"Nothing. Alexandrea. Alexandrea Dwayne" I said and opened my eyes. She gave me a suspicious look and nodded.

"Let me make a quick call. Hold on please" she said, walking away from me and farther into her corner. She punched the numbers on an office phone before placing the phone against her ear. I couldn't hear what she was saying because of the distance.

A name caught my eye in the large book she brought out and I sneaked her a look. She was engrossed in the conversation. I turned the book towards me. Nicholas Hunter....18 years old..... Single..... Fractured spine due to gunshot....Signs of possible paraplegia or stroke..

My legs gave out and I couldn't read anymore. What have I done? I have no idea what a parapletic or something is but...stroke? Could he be the one in the theatre room? The receptionist appeared in front of me and another nurse. "Miss Dwayne. Miss Dwayne, can you hear me?" The nurse said but her voice seemed distant. I could hear my heart race. This is all my fault.

Tears pricked the corner of my eyes. I struggled to stand up as the nurse helped me. The receptionist watched with furrowed eyebrows. "Her hand is still bleeding" she said, her voice sounding far away as well.

"The theatre. Where is it?" I asked taking short breaths between each word. I looked at the nurse. She didn't answer me.

"Let's get you back to your room" she said, placing her arm around my lower back.

"No. Where is the theatre? Is Nick the one in the theatre?" I asked, my gaze darting from her one eye to the other as I waited for an answer.

"We'll talk about it when we get to your room. Just relax, okay?" She said and I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"Please. I just need to know" I begged quietly and she sighed. "Is he the one in the theatre room?" I asked again.

She looked down and nodded slightly. I let out a choking sob, closing my eyes. "He's undergoing surgery. He will be fine, I assure you. You need to head to your room now, you're not stable" she said as I staggered.

"I want to see him" I opened my eyes, sniffing. She looked like she wanted to protest so I begged again "Please. I will go to my room after this but please"

She shook her head. "You can't see him now. You'll have to wait until they're done with the surgery"

My heart ached. I was scared. "How about my mom and my friends?" I asked, hoping they're fine.

"Your mom was admitted as well but she should be discharged tomorrow. One of your friends that was also shot, a female, is under anesthesia. She wasn't hurt too bad so she's doing great and responding to treatment" she said and I felt a little relieved. "The others went home to freshen up, they've been here for three nights so Nurse Amelia told them to head home"

"Three days? How many days have I been here?" I asked, shocked.

"Five days and four nights" she answered. Wow.

"Thank you" I said sincerely and she smiled in return.

"Let's go to your room now before your wound gets infected. You shouldn't have removed the IV" she said giving me a scolding look. I sighed and allowed her to walk me back to my room.

I silently prayed as I walked back to my room that he should get through this.

×××××××××××××××
12/05/2022