Chapter 20: Sweet Sticky Substance

The blazing sun shone and fluffy white clouds drifted around the blue sky. Two weeks have passed since the day Ayato left you.
Many doors Itto broke were fixed and the kitchen was no longer burnt. Everything was back to its normal self.

You were outside, hanging around near the estate grounds, gardening when in truth you should have been working on the large piles of paperwork sent for the Yashiro Commissioner.

"What is Mrs. Kamisato doing dirtying her hands and clothes?" Rude incomprehensible whispers from a few servants came out of their vile mouths.

"I mean really, is she a peasant or the wife of the head of the Kamisato Clan?" Another maid blabbered.

You paid no attention to their arrogant remarks and continued to fix up the half-dying red roses. A few of its thorns punctured your hands as you tended the flowers.

"You will not wither on my watch," you whispered.

"Tsk, such childish actions coming from a lady of high position. If I didn't know any better, I would've mistaken her with a filthy do—"

The foolish young servant quickly shut her mouth closed, accidentally biting her tongue in the process. Her eyes widened as she jolted with drastic dismay. The once foolish servant was now a tiny worthless bug compared to the figure in front of her.

She didn't dare to make a sound as her lips trembled. The man directly stared, observing every detail of the frightened servant's expression. He was amused how she stopped her sentence mid-way.

"You would've mistaken the head of the Kamisato Clan's wife who's also the daughter of our almighty Shogun to a filthy dog? Is that what you were saying?" His voice was calm yet disturbingly scary as he lifted his eyebrow.

"N-n-no—"

"A dog's worth is much greater than a snake's ignorant tongue. Hence the preference for favoring a loyal caring dog over a snake." He interrupted the woman, watching her petrified facial contortions.

"In other words, a dog will always have higher respect than a mere snake hissing with little to no importance." The man smirked, taking one last look at the foolish lady before frowning, hinting that she will no longer be welcomed back at the estate.

A large shadow, a figure of a man crawled up, blocking the sunlight from reaching the flowers,
"I'm sure the roses will acknowledge your care and effort for them."

That voice...

"Ayato...?" You looked up, meeting his soft eyes as the sunlight warmly kissed his radiant beautiful complexion.

"Greetings, m'lady."

"Welcome back." You smiled warmly.

Ayato suddenly grabbed your hands, observing the scratchy blistered wounds.

"Ow ow ow-let go!" You winced, trying to pull your hands away from his grasp.

"Hmm, you've grown uglier," he teased you.

Ah yes, let the teasing begin, hmph.

"Forgive me oh master, for I, y/n, have been longing for you to come back from your long journey."

"Master huh? I quite like that...especially at night—" He tilted his head, a smug formed upon his face.

"—You're such a pervert!"

Ayato giggled, his harmonious voice that you haven't heard in two weeks was like a majestic melody to your ears.

"Pervert? I'm far from being a pervert...though you on the other hand... you have such a wild imagination."