Chapter 29: Inevitable Conflict

Time and time again, I ask myself, why?

Why did my parents die?

Why did I survive?

The answer lies in three simple words:
I don't know.

Yet here I am, inside the Tenshukaku, staring directly into my savior's gentle and lonely eyes.

"Ei..." you mumble under your breath. You were confused as to why she stayed silent. Why did she allow others to dismiss and disrespect your opinions?

The God that saved, nurtured, and cared for you, paid no mind to the way the Tenryou and Kanjou Commissioner treated you.

Was it all an illusion? Did the God see you as nothing more than a mere tool?

There was a momentary silence between you all. The rustling of the leaves and the wind blowing outside was the only sound that could be heard from inside.

"Watching the discussion quietly has left no good. Kujou Takayuki, one as experienced as yourself should know it is not appropriate to water down another member of the
Tri-Commissions." The shogun harmoniously spoke. She glared at the man, challenging whether he dared to speak up.

"I understand the young head of the Kamisato Clan and my adoptive daughter are not experienced in handling such undesirable situations. Though, you do not have the power to simply force another member to aid in my presence." The shogun's voice was elegantly stern, she showed no sign of weakness.

"My shogun, I do sincerely apologize if I crossed the line. However, your daughter excels in strength. It would be most beneficial to have her assistance." Kujou Takayuki lowered his head down.

"Fifteen years ago, my people suffered greatly in silence. The egotistical wants of a group of individuals' activities drove Inazuma in vain. We lost not only a member of the Tri- Commissions but numerous innocent civilians as well." The shogun glanced at you, pausing for a moment before she continued.

"Years later, an unfortunate event has been brought upon the nation once more. As the Kanjou Commissioner suggested, closing the nation until we get rid of the threat is best." She took a deep breath, frowning.

You listened closely to what the shogun said however you were in disarray as to why she insisted on closing the nation.

Not allowing one to leave or enter could cause more casualties but on the other hand, it could give the benefit of getting close to uncovering the crisis.

"This loathed situation must stay between the Tri-Commissions. Ordinary civilians must not know what is happening within the walls as it'll cause an excess of panic and fear." The shogun assured everyone in the room to fully obey the almighty's proposition.

"Won't it cause fright regardless due to the sudden land closing?" You asked.

Hiiragi Shinsuke cut in, "Most that will be affected are the foreigners and peddlers. No one will think twice about an outsider."

You stood up, gaining the confidence you lost a while ago. "If closing the borders is to our advantage, may I be so bold to ask why my assistance is needed?"

The Tenryou Commissioner exhaled, portraying his fatigued frustration. "You have formidable strength. Which is why I urge your assistance to protect the higher-ups and our nation's god."

You slowly sat back down quietly. The shogun nor Ayato exchanged their opinions with Takayuki. The Commissioner seemed somewhat desperate for wanting you to work in the front lines.

Thinking back to his outburst from earlier. His words stung you a little. From his standpoint, it was evident that he held proper reasoning.

You held little to no importance when it came to leading the civilians. You didn't have godly powers and you certainly weren't as important as someone that held the title of 'Commissioner'.