Chapter 38: Guardian Angel With a Death Wish

WARNING: DEAR READERS: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SCENES OF ENGAGING IN RISKY AND POTENTIALLY LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIORS. PLEASE PROCEED WITH DISCRETION, AND BE MINDFUL OF YOUR OWN SENSITIVITIES AND TRIGGERS.

In shadows deep, where anger's fire burns, a heart consumed, in rage it churns. Eyes ablaze, with vengeance blind, a soul entrapped, in fury find. A storm roars, within his chest, a wounded heart, it can't find rest. The past's cruel hand, a bitter sting.

Everything had transpired in the blink of an eye, unfolding at a shocking pace. Ayato who was fueled by calculated provocation from Takayuki, recklessly ditched his hiding place. Fury clouded Ayato's vision, pushing him towards Takayuki with a flash of murderous intent. Yet, in his blinded rage, he failed to foresee the repercussions. 

Mere moments after Ayato's vengeful charge, Kujou Takayuki discreetly signaled to a few soldiers, who deftly executed their part in the detailed agenda. Swiftly, they drew their bows, aiming in on Ayato.

Then, in a heartbeat, you were there. A guardian angel, an unwavering shield. You flung yourself in front of Ayato, a human barrier against the cruel course of the arrow. Pain exploded through your back, an excruciating aching reminder of your selfless act while you both tumbled to the ground.

Ayato's boiling rage gradually faded away, replaced by a crushing sense of guilt. The woman he cherished, wounded and in pain, all because of his reckless pursuit of vengeance. 

Your eyes glistened with tears, and each breath felt like shards of glass, tearing at your insides as you struggled to fill your lungs with air.

"Y/n...?" Ayato's voice quivered with anxiety as his frantic gaze scanned your face. His trembling hand slid to your waist, fingertips grazing the edges of the bloodstained fabric.

As your momentary setback left you vulnerable, Kujou Takayuki's soldiers prompted into action, trying to close in on Ayato and you. Ignoring the unbearable pain that radiated through your body, you urgently hushed the man you loved, mumbling, "Shh...what do you think about jumping?"

"What?!"

With fierce determination, you rose to your feet, your fingers entwining with Ayato's and you spared a final glance at Yae. Her once invincible spirit now seemed weak, her fists clenched in a silent testament to her unwavering defiance. Blood seeped from the wounds inflicted by her nails, a miserable display of her inner turmoil.

Despite the searing pain coursing through you, you mustered a small, hopeful smile for her, then strode purposefully with Ayato towards the shrine's balcony.

"Y/N! ARE YOU INSANE?! DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?!" Ayato's voice tore through the chaos, a raw shout of distress as he sprinted alongside you. The soldiers lunged forward, desperate to seize their targets.

"SHUT UP AND JUMP YOU BLUEBERRY!" The words tore from your throat, a fusion of terror and determination pulsing through your veins. In that heart-stopping moment, a surge of adrenaline seized your body. With a scream that seemed to split the very air, you tugged Ayato with you, hurtling off the precipice of the shrine's balcony, perched on the towering peak of Mt. Yougou.

It was a leap that disregarded logic, a move that would be labeled as nothing short of insanity. This was, unquestionably, one of the most impulsive acts you had ever committed. Yet, surrendering to the likes of Kujou Takayuki and his minions was a path you refused to accept.

As the wind roared past and the ground rushed up to meet you, you clung to every ounce of hope. With every fiber of your being, you prayed that fate would prove merciful. Otherwise, this audacious jump would stand as the final chapter for both you and Ayato.