Prologue

Kahina

Urghh I'm so hungry where the hell is Reinette? Papa never lets us eat if one of us is not present yet and Reinette is not home yet. She was supposed to be 30 minutes ago. I'm pretty sure that new boyfriend of hers, Harry is the reason why. They are always together, it's so disgusting because she always wants me around and I have to third wheel.

Why do I have to third wheel? I never make her third wheel. Well, you actually have to have a love life in order to make someone third wheel and even though mine is existent, it's not that active. I guess you could say I'm not good at making those types of connections with people. I'm that person in our family who is unlucky in love.

You know, if you don't count our very old father who refuses to find someone when we try to convince him to.

"I'm here! I'm back whooo oh my goodness, I've been running!" Reinette barges in hardly breathing as if she was running a marathon. "I'm here. Sorry I'm late Harry and I were kept busy by his mother." She says, her voice sounding breathless, accompanied by a few blows of air.

She's obviously lying. They must have been doing the devil's tango or something. Reinette isn't a very good liar and I should know, I know when she's lying. Although, she can be deceitful when she wants but it never passes me or papa, we know her too well. And her response sounds too rehearsed to be true.

But besides that, I don't care. Our papa taught us to be very tentative but not when we're hungry like I am right now. I'm dying knowing there is already prepared food waiting for us.

"Sit down Reinette." Papa says not looking impressed by Reinette's actions.

He starts to place three dining plates and utensils around the circular table that is draped in a square cream colored cover. He dishes up for us as someone who enjoys this very much. Our papa absolutely loves cooking and he absolutely loves waiting on others, especially us. He's a people lover and yet his fighting skills show him to be anything but.

Reinette hesitantly takes her seat, sending glance my way and I know she thinks I he's acting weird. Normally, she would be grounded but today is a big day so I'm sure she used that to her advantage on purpose. And so we started to dig in. Papa is the most amazing cook and today was his turn to cook us lunch. If it were me or Reinette's turn, I wouldn't be so eager to eat.

"Tonight is your 16th birthday." Announces papa in the midst of our clanking and chewing on our lunch. "Which means you are women now and therefore ready to be part of the vigilante fighters." He continues.

Yes! Finally! Being part of the vigilante fighters is an honour to us humans. Typically, the name "vigilante fighters" is of the vampire terms because they call our people who fight against them in order to be free of bondage "vigilante". And every now and then they keep stressing how much they don't tolerate vigilantism and will retaliate harder if need be. I say let them try. They are trying to force fear down our throats, our throats that are filled with the scorching fire to find freedom.

We have been training for 10 years for this. Reinette and I. To risk our lives to save the humans that have been living with those disgusting leeches. No matter how hard and no matter how dangerous, choosing to be a vigilante fighter is a choice you make because you know dying so that the next person experiences freedom is better than living in bondage and acting like having life is the best gift ever. No, living life is the best gift ever. What's the point of having it if you won't enjoy it?

I am happy to not have any memories of them but I'm also saddened that I was too young to even know my real parents. Every year I think of them, we both do.

My sister and I excelled in training because of reasons unknown. Our strength is as equal as the boy's and so is our speed. We are one of the well trained in our camp and it has been anticipated greatly for us to be finally of age.