Surprises, surprises

Rowan's POV

As soon as we got back to the castle, it was past midnight. My anger luckily wasn't as it was a few hours ago.

When we got to Henrik's chambers, Freya, Alexei and my sister were seated there looking like they had seen ghosts. Alexei held Henry's mate in his arms as her breaths were slow and firm showing she was resting. Wet tears on her cheeks.

Henry's first move was to take his mate and hold her to himself. I just stood there not knowing what to say or do because they took my mate. Once again something was taken from me and I don't know how long they are going to keep her alive. I know she's alive because if she wasn't, I would've felt it. Just like I felt when Camila was no more.

"What happened?" My mother asks.

Her eyes turn to meet mine as if she is waiting for me to say or do something. Reading her mind, I saw that she blamed herself. I also saw how those things took my mate, they took out Alexander first knowing they couldn't overpower him.

My mind was racing with millions of thoughts as I tried reading everyone in the room's mind collecting every bit of information I could gather. I called everyone who fought them first hand or witness those things fighting. I still couldn't get how they entered my territory and my castle. I know we have a traitor in this castle, but who?

Almost an hour had already passed. Everyone left the room except me, I wanted to keep Henry company. Since my mate wasn't here, the one memory of her I could get is her sister who looks like a splitting image of her.

"What do you think their plans are?" Henry asks.

"My attention. Or they are trying to lure me because they know I'll find her." I say.

"How did they know you have a mate? And why did they take Alexander?" He makes a good point.

"They took Alexander because you would go after him, same way you'd go after your mate. Let's say he is a plan B." Says mother entering the room.

"What do you mean plan B?" I ask.

"It seems to me that they are not sure you are mated to her. Otherwise if they were, they wouldn't have needed Alexander." She's right.

If Kahina was not my mate then Alexander as my brother would be their plan B. Why didn't I think of that?

"In other words, they do want to lure you to them." Henry comments.

"Wh-" I stop talking when I could hear the girl's thoughts showing that she was waking up.

As soon as all her memories came back, she jumped and her head almost hit Henry. Her eyes met mine, though they were as blue as Kahina's, she still wasn't her. She turned around and saw Henry. He made a stupid joke but she ignored it and engulfed him in a hug.

"How are you feeling sweetheart?" My mother asks her.

"Horrible. You didn't happen to have found a way to get my sister back have you?" She questions.

"Not exactly. I'm sorry." Henry replies.

"What if they hurt her? What if they've already hurt her? What if- what if she's de-" I get angry at her stupid questions.

"She's not dead!" I find myself shouting at her. Henry held her tight feeling my anger. I saw in his eyes he hated the way I spoke to her.

"Kahina is not dead, they haven't hurt or killed her. I can feel it." I say my voice sounding lower than before.

"Well what are you planning to do about it?" And I thought she's the less brave one. I didn't reply to her, people who are brave around me earn my respect.