Royal Distractions

Rowan's POV

"I look pregnant, why did it have to be a huge ass ball gown, Moooomm." I heard my sister's whining all the way from the end of the hall where mother's chambers are situated.

Tonight is the night of the ball. I have always hated galas, balls or any event that required me to be social in a way. Luckily for me, since I'm the king now, I do not have to be social or deal with anything that involves my followers. I just have to sit on my throne and observe, making an appearance is already a big deal. Observing so I can find my Queen.

I don't want a Queen. I don't think there is even a single woman out there who is strong enough, brave enough or wise enough to stay with me by my side, not if they are not my destined. I don't need one because I have lived for so long without needing one. I no longer believe in love. I'm not saying it does not exist. I know it does, I have seen it with my own eyes. I have seen it bloom and take a person from their misery to their happiness.

I didn't see love before and thought all those with it mates were faking. I was so convinced that they wore all these happy faces just because they thought they have to. Only because one Goddess told them this is the love of your life. But when I saw my sister come from hating every single part of herself to being the happy person she is today. I am now convinced. Being a royal does not excuse you from being bullied. I know my sister has always been sidelined because of they way she looked. She's very beautiful yes, but her eyes are unusual and there is nothing that people fear more than the unusual. You see we are not different from each other now.

She is now strong, confident and she speaks her mind. She is not as nice as she used to but and it's because people have never liked her like they do now, she trusts no one. Her mate is to thank for. He pulled her out of her misery which is how he earned my trust and protection.

Before I could knock on my mother's doors, they opened for me giving me a vision of my sister wearing a sleeveless Scarlett gown that really did look huge but she looked stunning either way. Mother went for a simple off the shoulder baby blue gown. She looked centuries younger than my sister.

"You look gorgeous! Rowan tell your sister she looks gorgeous." She says as I enter the room.

"You both look astounding mother." I say, I know I'm going to have to fight her if I don't compliment her as well.

"Oh this old thing?" She brushes my complement off. I know she likes it.

My mother has the confidence of a gorilla, yet she loves to hear compliments about herself. To bask in the glory of the positive words she's given.

"But why do I have to look like a Christmas tree while Mom wears something so simple. You like attention, couldn't you wear this gown?" Auri tries to convince mother.

"You're the princesses sweetie, I get stares everyday and you're my daughter, therefore I want you to get stares too. I want people to see you and how gorgeous you are." She argues. That's a lie, she needs someone to make a doll out of and she happens to have a daughter.

"I don't want stares. You know I hate stares but you don't care!" Mother just laughs at her. Of course

"Are you two done? Introductions will commence in five minutes." I say.

"Of course. Let's go." Mother leads the way, my sister and I behind her.

When we made it to the doors leading to the ball, everyone was there waiting for us looking as sharp as ever. Alexander and Freya went inside as the big doors opened for them, Alexei took my sisters hand following behind them.

"Remember nothing else should distract you from finding me a daughter in-law Rowan." Mother walks towards me, fixing my tie as she spoke. When she was done, she turned back to Henry who had offered her his arm.