Devide and Conquer

Rowan's POV

After Kahina left, the mood seemed to change and turn back to serious. I read in her mind after Freya spoke that she understood something. Whilst everyone made a joke out of it, neither of the twins saw the joke in any of this. I can't exactly read her sister's mind anymore, there's some sort of barrier and I'm guessing it's because she's a seer now right?

All I know is that she didn't seem happy. She's the most relaxed out of the two of them but she seemed annoyed at us speaking a language they did not know. On the other hand Kahina was thinking of a lot of things there's nothing she was able to focus on that her mind was almost like it was blank. She's felt overwhelmed.

As we finished the meeting, I started walking towards to where she went. Her scent took me to the arena. Even though they don't approve of it, her blood still smells human, my mate is still the Queen of these vampires and they know the consequences of even getting close to my mate. A slow and painful death. Starving them whilst the smell of blood lingers in the air is one of my favourite methods.

When I got to the arena, I saw my mate in a battle. Her fighting is truly something I enjoy watching. She was focused, more than focused. She didn't seem to be trying to kill her opponents but just to win. Yes, opponents. My mate is no longer human, she can fight more than one vampire at a time. Her newfound strength is truly impeccable. Her need for competition is what excites me, she understands me so much and she doesn't even know it. I do not know what I did to deserve such a woman.

As I walked towards the arena, there were wet trails to indicate the previous rain from before. The rain left as quickly as it came, but the cloudy sky still invades the whole place.

As soon as my mate sees me, she ends the fight and starts approaching me. Her hands covered in bandages ruined my whole mood. I used my speed and in less than a minute I was holding her hands smelling them if there wasn't any blood or injury. Why is she around vampires if she has an injury?

"Calm down, I'm fine." She says pulling her hands but I held them tighter.

"Why do you have bandages?" I asked. Or more like demanded the answer.

"It's kind of something I'm used to when training. Bandaging my hands so they don't bleed. This newfound strength is not easy to get used to I guess." She replies.

I cocked my head to the side from confusion. They bandage themselves to prevent bleeding during a fight? Where's the honour in that?

"Of course you won't understand." She says again. Her mood was lighter than earlier but it wasn't as sunny anymore. Literally.

"Tell me what's wrong mate, what can I fix?" I changed the topic as I held her closer to me.

"What do you mean?" She looked genuinely confused.

"Kahina, you stormed out and I'm trying to know why." I reply.

"Oh.. that." She takes her attention away from me and back to the arena. She removed her hands as she turns around and walked towards it. I followed her steps waiting for her to finish speaking.

"I needed some air. I couldn't think. I was pissed with you guys making it a joke, yes, but I was more pissed that we have another major problem that needs our attention as much as Valerie." She says during our small walk. Her hand was holding mine to show her pure and genuine love for her mate. Not caring about what the humans now say, I realised she held back more because she feared being judged.

"We only wanted to relieve the tensity of the topic. Also, we didn't actually think the prophecy was true." I replied honestly. Not completely honest considering I left a big detail, we didn't want them to know but they've been sucked into this already.

"What did you conclude in the meeting?" She asks.

"Well, we decided to divide each other. Usually we never work in separate teams but this needs exactly that. Henry, your sister, my mother, Auri, Alexei and Esmeray will work on finding out more about the prophecy. The rest of us work on finding Valerie's hideout. There's no way to just disappear in a world I already own." I fill her in. She seemed to be approving of it.

"I guess that's a good plan." She says. She seemed to be thinking intensely about something. I don't like how distracted she is with everything because of Valerie, she doesn't want to hurt anyone.

"Tell me about your father." I say out of nowhere.

I am well aware it's a sensitive topic and I am the least person she would want to talk to about it. I realised that I have been too scared to try and meet her in that level of comfortability considering we are both blaming me for the pain in her life. I know and I take full responsibility for it.

Her eyes showed shock but it immediately died and she went to her normal face. Her hair was tied into a ponytail. My mark was visible which made me happy knowing she was wearing it proudly.

"He was a patient man. He's the one who taught me patience and vigilance. He knew more about vampires than anyone in our camp making him one of the most respected people." She says as we continued our walk. "He trusted me with many things, he trusted me with my sister's life. Which is why I always felt obliged to protect her." She adds.

I let her continue because I could see she wanted to say more. Although when she spoke about trust her expression had something I couldn't quite make out what.

"When he would tell us about our mother, he would say that she was an incredible woman. Strong willed, fought till her last breath so we could survive." She was now looking at a distance, reliving the memory. "But he lied, just like everyone else."

Her whole demeanor changed, she turned to face me as my expression was now serious. So that was what made her mad, she lost the respect she had for her father all because of Valerie's words.

"Maybe he wanted to protect you." We may have been worlds apart, me and her father, even her I suppose but the point is we both loved her.

"Lying is not protecting someone, Rowan. It's saving you from facing the truth." Her expression was serious and stern.

From the way she looked at me, I'm assuming she is not just talking about her father. Yes, I know she holds grudges and I haven't exactly been the greatest mate, she will bring up my mistakes. Of course my mate had to be headstrong.

.................................................................................

Hey readers! Yes the story is still ongoing, I hope you were still waiting 😉