♥ two ♥

I woke up the next morning to birds chirping and water droplets dripping down my window. Sunlight streamed in through my thin grey curtains, flooding the room with a mid-morning light. I swung my legs out of bed and glanced at the clock. 9:02, Wednesday, July 6th. My birthday was tomorrow. 

I looked down at my right thigh, my fingers running smoothly over the skin. I may have a Talley mark here the next day. 

Forgetting about the mark, I stood up and shuffled for the bathroom, starting the water in the bathtub and waiting for it to fill. When it did, I poured a handful of body salts into the water before stripping out of my clothes and slipping into the warm water.

My back arched and rested on the slanted shape of the tub that gave so much comfort to my body. The salts worked away at relaxing my tired muscles and clearing my foggy head.

I had nothing to do today except dread my birthday. 

                                                                 .⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅.

After the bath I ended up in my kitchen, clothed in a large hoodie and a pair of soft pajama shorts. I pushed my glasses further up my nose as I thought of what to make. Opening my fridge I pointed out the necessary ingredients to make Japchae. That'll do.

I got out the ingredients and started getting the pot ready on the stove. I sliced veggies and got out the sesame seeds. 

I was a decent cook, my mom taught me as a kid. She said it was so I made a good wife for my soulmate one day. That was when I was interested in the idea. What a joke I had been. 

I shook my head, getting rid of the thoughts for now. Lord knows they would come back to bother me. 

I served myself in a bowl and laid out the chopsticks before putting the leftovers in a container and loading it in the fridge for later.

I grabbed my bowl and walked to the couch, turning on a kdrama and snuggling myself in a ball as I ate my steaming noodles.

                                                                 .⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" My two best friends screamed as soon as they saw me peek through the cafe door.

They wrapped their arms around me and started bombarding me with questions. I sat down at the table they led me to and scooted in, reaching for the latte that was already waiting for me, just the right temp. 

As soon as I sat down though, they grabbed for my leg that was sitting freely from the white dress I had on.

"There's no mark," Jugyeong pouted. I smiled.

"Well I hope it stays like that but I wasn't born yet. Technically I turn 21 at 11:07 a.m. It's 10 52 right now," I explained, pointing to the ticking clock on a wall of paintings.

"So there's still a chance?! Yes!" Jugyeong giggled, pumping her fists in the air.

"Anyway, what's so great about having a soulmate?" I asked, leaning forward to listen.

"Well, I always thought they were just- there. But then I changed my mind. They're there to help you in life. Not get in the way. You should consider not rejecting them," Minsu shrugged, taking a bite of a pink cupcake.

I nodded my head slowly before my eyes widened. "Wait hold on. I'm not going to reject my soulmate! I'm just going to say I'm not really ready for a soulmate and we should just be friends," I explained. Jugyeong's smile fell, her spirit dropping. 

"W-why would you do that? If my soulmate said that to me, I'd be pretty heartbroken."

"Jugyeong I don't mean-" 

Shoot I went and did it now. Jugyeong got so sensitive over these things. Ever since her older brothers told her she was too ugly for a soulmate. That and her soulmate would never want her. 

She shook her head, a faint smile spreading over her lips.

"I'm okay Y/n. Everything's fine," she assured me, patting my hand. That wouldn't make me feel any less bad Jugyeong. Sorry.

"Anyway, look at the time! Only 2 more minutes~" Minsu announced, pulling me from my current stump.

Jugyeong and I both looked at the clock, one of us nervous, the other giddy with excitement. Just letting you know this was me and Jugyeong. I think you know who is who.

"One more minute!" They both said together. I bit my lip, my eyes long gone from the clock. I was staring at my right thigh. Praying nothing would appear. 

"3..2..1!"

Both their eyes flew from the clock to my leg. I held my breath for a few seconds before letting it out. The minute passed and nothing happened. Jugyeong looked disappointed and Minsu looked a bit defeated. However, I was jumping for joy!

"Oh my gosh yes! Hallelujah!" I shouted, jumping from the table and spinning around in circles. Jugyeong gasped and Minsu grabbed my wrist, stopping me from dancing.

"First we're in public. Second, check your leg," she whispered, making me sit down slowly. I looked down at my leg and stared. Holy cow. 

                                                                 .⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅.

Like it? We're getting there~

[Edit 11/04/22: I'm rereading this and it's making me cringe guys]