CHAPTER 6

"Lilah, what are you doing here so early?" Tamara asks once she opens the front door.

"Where do I start?" I walk past her into the house.

"Maybe you can start by explaining why you are wearing a dinner dress so early in the morning."

"I spent the night out." I sink into one of the couches in her living room.

"You spent the night out! Oh my God, it's been so long. I have to ask, with whom?" Tamara asks, getting more excited by the minute. I didn't date much after Beau, so it is no surprise that Tamara is eager to hear about a date.

"Beau."

"You had sex with Beau?" Tamara asks, wide-eyed.

"Of course not; I just spent the night over at his place."

"How did that happen?"

"I don't know, but I guess he was called to the restaurant after I passed out."

"You passed out at a restaurant?"

"Yeah," I say, staring at Tamara's TV screen.

"Why are you looking at the TV? It's switched off. Is something on your mind?"

"Beau kissed me."

"He did what?"

"He kissed me." My hands automatically touch my lips. I wet them and swear I can still taste him. I can't believe he kissed me.

"Why would he kiss you?"

"That's the same question I have been asking myself since he did it. It's driving me crazy."

"There must be an explanation. Beau wouldn't just kiss you for no reason."

"I know. You could assume he suddenly wants me back, but I know that's not the case with Beau. He never even liked me, and there is no way in hell I believe he does now."

"Me either; I can still remember the words he said to you that day."

"You remember it so well because they were the same words his cousin told you. I still find it strange how they both said the exact same thing when they broke our hearts."

"Yeah, that's why." Tamara looks lost in her thoughts.

"What're you thinking?" I ask, worried something might be wrong.

Tamara sighs deeply and her shoulders drop before she speaks, "I met with Harvey last week."

"You saw that monster?"

Beau had shattered my heart, but what his cousin did to Tamara... Words can't even explain it. He practically took out her heart, cut it up into pieces, and discarded it like it was the most worthless thing in this world.

"Yes, and you won't believe it, but he is worse than before if that's even possible."

"Where did you see him?"

"Remember I told you the restaurant recently got a new owner?"

"Yes, I recall."

"Harvey is the new—"

"He is the new owner." I finish Tamara's sentence for her, already guessing what she will say.

"Yes."

"You need to quit; there is no way you can continue working there. He will make things unbearable for you."

"I wish I could, Lilah, but I can't. It was hard enough to secure the position of manager in that restaurant. I can't just quit."