CHAPTER 49

I play with my glass as I watch Hannah rub herself against Beau, who doesn't seem to be enjoying her company very much, but that doesn't matter. He's still marrying her. I'm going to have a drinking problem by the time this wedding is over. The rehearsal dinner is tonight, and it's going horribly for me.

Everyone keeps talking about how they're such a good match for each other. I'm already imagining how awful tomorrow will be. I can't believe I agreed to stay. What the hell was I thinking?

The only reason I decided to come tonight was because I was hoping to get a chance to talk Beau out of getting married, but all I've done is drink.

I finish my fifth glass of wine and call the server over for a refill. My alcohol tolerance has increased recently, and I don't want to think about how much drinking I must have been doing lately for that to happen. After my glass is refilled, I go to take a sip, but someone grabs it from my hand.

"I think you've had enough for tonight," Beau says, holding my wine.

"No, I haven't. Give it back," I say, my words coming out slurred. I try to reach for it, but he moves away and sits in the chair next to mine.

"No, have some water." He hands me a bottle.

"I don't want that." I slap it away.

"Stop behaving like a child and drink the water," Beau scolds, picking up the bottle from the ground and shoving it in my face.

"No! And why are you disturbing me? Don't you have Hannah to entertain you?" I look around for Hannah, but she's nowhere to be seen.

"She's outside taking a call." Beau gets up from his seat.

"Why are you standing up?"

"I'm taking you to your hotel, come on." He grabs my hand and tries to lift me off the chair, but I grind my butt in, making sure I don't move an inch.

"I don't want to go!" I say, stomping my feet. Maybe I am drunk.

"I didn't ask you what you wanted." He tugs my hand harder, pulling me up from the chair. I jolt up and almost fall, but Beau quickly grabs my arm and pulls me into his chest. The warmth from his body fills me as he holds me close. His amazing scent surrounds me, and I melt into him. That smell always calm me down. I close my eyes and bury my nose in his neck.

"You smell amazing," I say, smiling and sniffing.

"Let's go." Beau begins to walk us outside, his arms around me.

It's not until we're heading towards his car that it hits me.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask, pushing him away.

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you suddenly being nice to me?"

"Because I want to."

"Because you want to? Does that sound like a good answer to you, Beau?"

"Yes, it does." He stretches his hand out and tries to grab me, but I move out of his reach. "Come on, let's go."

I don't think drinking like I did was very smart, because now I'm struggling not to fall. Beau notices and saves me for the second time tonight. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me back up. I place my hands on his chest to steady myself. His heartbeat pounds against my palms.

"Do you know that this heart used to beat only for me once?" I don't know where the words come from, but I can't stop them.

"I know." I feel Beau gazing down at me as I stare at his chest.