CHAPTER 32

Beau clears his throat. "I think you should take a seat."

"Okay, fine." I walk into the room and sit on a couch close to the bed. My patience is running thin, but it's probably for the best if we don't have this conversation in the hallway.

"Where do I start?" Beau swallows and rubs a palm across his face.

"I don't know, maybe from the beginning?" I suggest, sarcastically.

"Yes, you're right; from the beginning would be best. But first, will you promise me something?" Beau bends down to my level and tries to take my hand, but I yank it away. He sighs and turns to face Nana. She nods, encouraging him to continue.

He looks back at me, but I speak before he has a chance. "I don't think you can ask me to promise you anything after everything you have done to me and what you just said a few seconds ago."

"I know, you're right. But promise me you won't leave until you've listened to everything I have to say."

I consider his request. "Fine, I can give you that; I'll wait for you to finish talking at least before I kill you."

"Thank you." Beau stands and takes a step away from me. Probably a smart move.

"Begin," I say, gesturing with my hand.

"So, you know how my mother and grandfather don't like you?"

"Of course, I do. Your grandfather just kicked me out of his house and refused to let me eat at the same table as him."

"Yes, that's true, but what you don't know is the full extent of their hatred for you and the lengths they would go to in order to keep us apart."

"Why do I feel like there is something important I'm missing?"

"There is." Beau sighs again. "Do you remember the car accident your dad had when we were dating?"

"Yes." My brows pull together a little. I don't understand why he is suddenly bringing this up. My dad almost had a bad car accident a few years ago. But luckily, no one had been seriously hurt.

"Do you remember how the driver just lost control of the car? And it was only by chance your dad survived?"

"Yes, I do." I narrow my eyes, wondering where he is going with this.

"My family was the reason why that happened."

"What?" I close my eyes for a second before opening them back. My brain isn't processing his words or their implications. I don't want to believe what I just heard. "You're lying," I say, wide-eyed.

"Unfortunately, I'm not, mon amour."

"No," I shake my head, unable to believe him. How could his family have been that cruel? Dad's car was hacked that day; it was a miracle the driver regained control of the vehicle.

Oh my God! It must have been a warning to me, and I didn't even know it at the time. I almost killed my dad. Disbelief settles over me.

"I know what you're thinking, and it's not your fault. If anyone is at fault, then it's me." Beau wipes away a teardrop that falls from my eyes. I can't believe I almost killed my dad because I didn't respect Beau's family's wish for us to be apart. I'm starting to wonder what would've happened to my dad if Beau hadn't cheated on me, and we decided to continue to be together against his family's wishes. Oh my God, I would've never forgiven myself if they had really harmed my father. He means so much to me. I would've been devastated. Could that mean Beau cheating on me was a blessing in disguise?

"It wasn't either of your faults," Nana says from the bed.

I turn to face her, tears swimming in my eyes. "I really wish I could believe that, Nana."