CHAPTER 30

The sound of people arguing wakes me. Confused, I look around to find where the voices are coming from and where I am. A heart monitor beeps to the left of me. Am I in the hospital? I pull the curtains surrounding the bed I'm in open to see who else is there and why they're arguing.

The scene I'm greeted with only confuses me more. "Dad?" I say, shocked to see him here.

"Lilah, you're finally up," Dad says, relief in his voice as he rushes over to me.

"How are you feeling?" Beau asks, coming to stand on the other side of the bed. I open my mouth to reply, but Dad cuts me off.

"You're still here?" Dad barks, glaring at Beau. Yikes. If looks could kill, then Beau would definitely be dead right now.

"I know you don't want me here," Beau bites out, "but it's my baby she's carrying."

My eyes widen. Oh my God, Dad knows? How did he find out? This is bad. He's going to kill Beau.

"A baby that you put in her without her permission," Dad snaps.

"Just because we aren't together doesn't mean I would force myself on your daughter. You can trust me on that, at least."

Dad shoots another glare across the bed. "Unfortunately, your word means nothing."

Dad and Beau continue to argue, and my heart rate begins to increase, the monitor beeping erratically. This is not how I planned for Dad to find out, and Beau only seems to be making things worse. I try to intervene but neither of them bats an eye at my efforts to get their attention. I attempt to calm myself down, because I know getting myself worked up won't do the baby any good. But their bickering combined with my spiraling thoughts is making that very difficult. I don't even know what they're arguing about anymore. My eyes drift close as I feel a headache coming on. I start to massage my temples and am only able to open my eyes once I hear a different voice enter the conversation.

"Hey, hey, hey!" A doctor interrupts, snapping her fingers to get their attention. "What is wrong with you two? Can't you see you're stressing her out?" she scolds.

Beau and Dad both turn to face me and the expressions on their faces change immediately once they realize how their bickering has affected me.

"I am so sorry, mon amour. I didn't mean to make this worse." Beau wipes away a drop of sweat from my forehead.

"I'm sorry too, dear." Dad strokes my hair and gives me a peck on the cheek.

The doctor looks over at the heart monitor as it resumes a steady rhythm. "That's better." She gives a pointed look to Beau and my dad. "Now, I'm sure, regardless of your differences, you both want the mother and child to be healthy, so I would advise no more arguments—at least not in front of her." The doctor looks back to me before checking the medical chart in her hand.

"Doctor, is something wrong with the baby?" That's the only reason I can think of as to why I fainted.

"No, you and the baby are both fine. But I would advise you to stay away from things that could exhaust your energy. You're still in your first trimester, and this is a very delicate stage in pregnancy. Any little mistake can result in a possible miscarriage. Try to avoid stress as much as possible. It's not good for you or the baby."

I nod, my hand drifting over my stomach. "I'll be more careful from now on."

"Glad to hear it. All your tests look good, so you are free to go home."

"Thank you, doctor."

"You're welcome. Have a nice day," she says, walking away.

Beau looks at me, a smile on his face. "I knew you weren't serious about wanting an abortion. You wouldn't have been worried about the baby if you were."