CHAPTER 15

A soft knock on my bedroom door awakens me from my sleep. I rub my eyes and drop my feet to the side of the bed, trying to find my slippers as the person at the door continues to knock. I succeed and drag myself over to the door. My eyes open wide once I see who is behind the door and, worse, the state she is in.

"Camila," I say, shocked to see her. "What are you doing here? What happened? Why are you wet? Did you walk in the rain?" I fire questions at her without even giving her a second to answer.

Camila looks up from the ground, and her bloodshot eyes stare back at me. My gaze softens as I realize she must have been crying. Camila begins to sob as I quickly pull her into a hug, not caring that she is drenched. Camila's legs give out, and I follow her to the ground. I don't ask her any new questions and let her cry it out. I say soothing words as big wails escape her. I don't know what happened, but I can guess it has something to do with the heart because of the way she is crying.

After what feels like forever, Camila finally starts to calm down and stops crying. I move her head away from my chest and look at her face. She sniffs a little as she stares at me. Not saying a word, I lift us off the floor and walk her to my bathroom. I fill the bathtub with warm water and ask Camila to take her wet clothes off. Once the tub is full, Camila steps inside, and I sit on the toilet seat in case she needs anything.

The bathroom is dead silent; the only noise in the room is the water splashing on the floor whenever Camila moves a little in the tub.

"You were right," Camila says, staring at me with red-rimmed eyes.

"About what?" I ask softly. At least she's talking now.

"About Danny," she says, playing with the foam from the bubbles I poured into the tub.

"You caught him?"

"Yes, and you won't believe with who."

"Who?" I thought I would be happy when this day came, but all I feel is sadness. It must have crushed her when she walked in on him. I can't even imagine.

"My secretary."

"Jessica," I gasp, shocked.

"Yes, and do you know the worst part?"

"No."

"For a split second, I thought of forgiving him and forgetting all about it."

"Why didn't you?" I am so happy she didn't.

"The days he would go off the grid finally made sense to me in that moment. The shame I felt when I realized I was the biggest fool on this earth for not realizing sooner was overwhelming, Lilah. Even Jessica laughed at how long it took me."

"It's not your fault you are just finding out now. You were the perfect girlfriend to Danny, and it's his loss that he couldn't see that. Don't beat yourself up for not realizing he was not worth your time sooner." As I speak, I move closer to sit by the tub, wiping away her tears as they start to fall again.