CHAPTER 23

DELILAH

The day after the party, I'm in my office attending to some work when someone barges in. I don't even bother to lift my eyes from the papers in front of me, because my secretary says the name of my unexpected visitor as she tries to block the door.

"Mrs. Williams! Miss Stephen is busy right now. You can't see her."

"Young lady, I want to see Delilah now, and I will." Jenny pushes past her and marches to my desk. I wave to my secretary to leave; she tried her best.

"To what do I owe this unpleasant visit, Jenny?" Lifting my head up, I rest my chin on my interlocked fingers.

"Good day to you, too." She takes the seat on the other side of my desk.

"Wow, you're sitting down? You must have a lot to say today."

"Delilah, I need you to come with me somewhere."

"Where could you possibly need me to go with you?" I lean back in my seat, crossing my arms and staring at her as she gets comfortable.

"You will see when we get there."

"I am not going anywhere with you, Jenny."

"I believe it's in our best interest that you follow me to this place."

"Best interest?" I laugh dryly. "I never thought I'd see the day where you would say such words to me." I uncross my arms and massage my temple before speaking again. "Jenny, there is nothing on this earth that would be in the best interest of both of us. I know why you are here, and you have nothing to worry about. I don't plan to ruin Beau's wedding." She must have seen me there or heard I attended the engagement party. I am sure she thinks I went there with bad intentions. If only she knew what really happened. I won't lie; it's going to hurt knowing Beau is getting married to someone else, but I'm not a homewrecker.

"As much as I would love your words to be true, unfortunately, they are not."

"Jenny, I might be involved in your son's life because of business, but I have no interest in ever getting back together with him."

"That's hard to believe," she gives me a pointed look. "Considering I found your underwear in his apartment last week."

"I can promise you, Jenny, it was a one-time thing. Beau and I are never getting back together. I can assure you of that."

"How can you assure me when things keep happening that indicate otherwise?"

"I know you hate me, but trust me. I'll never get back together with Beau after what he did to me seven years ago." The pain he caused me is not something I can easily forgive. And he isn't even trying to seek my forgiveness properly, making it out of the question all together.

Jenny considers my words. "Alright, but I only believe you because I know what he did."

"Exactly." What he had done was unforgiveable, but I was done talking about this with her. "Now, please leave my office."

"I want you to promise me that you will stay away from Beau."

"I promise."

"Good. And if you don't keep your word, don't hate me when you see how things turn out for you."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Hopefully, you won't have to find out. Goodbye, Delilah." She gets up from her seat and walks to the door, but before she leaves, she takes one last look over her shoulder. "Oh, and learn to take your underwear back home with you." The door closes before I can formulate a reply.