CHAPTER 36

Once I arrive at the abandoned building, I rush inside. My heart racing harder with every step. I'm praying it's not too late. I can't imagine my life without Delilah. The guilt of causing her death would ruin me. I pray I won't have to face such an existence. I kick open the first door I come across. The man in the room jumps up from the couch as the door falls off its hinges.

"What the fuck!" He shouts, the joint he'd been smoking tumbling to the ground. The whole place reeks of weed, I could smell it even before I walked in.

I don't care to give him a second glance, instead scanning the whole room for Delilah. I don't have to search long. The blood trail coming from the room's right side is enough to tell me where she is.

The man who'd been sitting on the couch walks toward me. "Who the fuck are you?" he growls, but I don't answer and push him out of the way.

Dropping to the floor, I take Delilah's head in my lap once I get to her. All the anger I felt as I drove here vanishes as I hold Delilah in my arms. I pull her bloody, unmoving body close to my chest, and a pained growl is ripped from the depths of my soul. My heart tears apart as I hold her. Her wounds are so bad that my whole shirt is soaked with blood. I touch the marks these monsters left on her, and my heart hurts even more. This is my fault. I wish more than anything in the world that my family wasn't mine. Hatred toward my grandfather begins to take root as I continue to hold Delilah. I will get revenge for what's been done to her. I lift Delilah's body off the ground, holding her in my arms as I begin to walk out of the room. My family will pay for this. I don't care if it costs me my life in the process. They will answer for what they've done.

The way out is blocked by the man who'd been smoking on the couch. "I have been fucking talking to—"

"Move out of my way," I cut him off. I'm in no mood to speak to one of the people who had hurt Delilah.

"Where is my money?" He crosses his arms over his chest, continuing to block the door.

"I said, move out of my way." My patience is slowly thinning as the man refuses to step aside. I want to smash his head against the wall, but I'm trying to keep it together so I can get Delilah to the hospital as quickly as possible.

"And I said, where the fuck is my money?" He shoves a finger into my shoulder with every word, and I stumble backward a bit from the force.

I glare at him, but he doesn't get the memo that I'm warning him to back off and gets in my face instead.

"Why the fuck are you looking at me like that?" The man says, so close to me that his forehead is almost touching mine.

He doesn't see the head-butt coming.

"What the fuck!" He lifts a hand to touch his bloody nose.

Ignoring him, I try to step around to get to the door but get stopped again, which earns the man another head-butt. Gritting my teeth, I adjust Delilah in my arms and tighten my hold on her as I try to control my anger. This man is asking for his death, and I'm so close to laying Delilah on the ground and giving him the same treatment he gave her.