CHAPTER 44

I take a sip of my margarita and lie back down on the beach chair by Tamara's pool. Sighing, I remember what she told me a few days ago. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Beau will be married soon. Just the thought is hard for me to handle. It's enough to make me want to drink, which is why I had to come over to Tamara's, so I could do it without Dad eyeing me. I've been drinking more lately, and he worries.

"There's something I need to tell you," Tamara says as she steps out of the pool.

"I'm listening," I say, putting my drink down and sitting up.

"Harvey finally found out why Beau is behaving so strangely toward you."

"Really?" I ask, hope fluttering in my heart. Things might start making sense now.

Tamara nods and looks at me with pity in her eyes.

I wonder why, isn't this good news? "What did he say?"

"He hates you."

"What?" I ask, shocked.

"Beau hates you, and Harvey says Jenny is responsible for it."

"I don't understand."

"After Beau was discharged from the hospital, Jenny had him take memory classes."

"Memory classes? What are those?"

"So apparently, Beau hasn't truly recovered his memory. Jenny had him take these classes and memorize everyone important in his life. Harvey says she did it so that it would be easy for him to fit into society again."

"Oh my God! So that's why Beau claims to know me but treats me like a stranger." Jenny must have told Beau lies about me and made him think I'm a horrible person. I wonder what stories she made up.

"Yes. Harvey doesn't know exactly what Jenny told Beau about you, but he's sure it wasn't anything good."

"I can bet!" I lean back in my chair once more, taking all the information in. "It makes so much sense now why he called me a gold digger. That insult has Jenny written all over it."

"It does, and Harvey even tried telling Beau the truth, but nothing came of it."

"How come?"

"Beau doesn't remember you or your relationship, so telling him that his mother is lying doesn't change that. His feelings for you are just not there anymore."

"That's true, telling him the truth won't change much, but I could still try something. Beau and I have shared so many wonderful moments together. I bet one of them might be able to jog his memory."

"Yes, you guys do have a lot of history," Tamara agrees, then smiles. "There's no way you won't be able to make him remember the love he has for you."

"Hopefully I can, because if I don't, then I'll have a front-row seat to watch him marry someone else. Speaking of that, why is he still marrying Hannah?" I would've guessed it's because his mom told him he was in love with Hannah, but now that I know he doesn't believe Harvey because he doesn't remember his feelings for me, I wonder what other reason he could have for marrying her.

"I asked Harvey the same thing, but he doesn't know," Tamara answers.

"Hmm, yet another thing to figure out," I murmur.

***

The following day while at lunch with Camila, someone enters the restaurant and catches my eye. I stop eating and watch. Her blue eyes scan the room, stopping once she spots me. She smiles, her eyes shining with an evil glint, and approaches my table. The Louis Vuitton heels she's wearing click against the wooden floor as she walks.