CHAPTER 42

I stare at Beau and watch as he listens to one of my employees explain why we had to put a hold on the projects his investment had funded. I'm still as confused as I was yesterday. He says he remembers me, but then says he doesn't know why I put the projects on hold. It doesn't make any sense.

I tried speaking to him again yesterday after he left to ask what was going on, but he refused to allow me to see him at his office or give me his new number. My new plan is to try and talk to him today once the meeting is over. I want to apologize and fix things between us. I believe I made a mistake that day in the hospital. At the time, I had thought I was doing us both a favor, but I know now that I should have never broken up with him.

I continue to stare at him and take in his appearance. He looks as he did yesterday—healthy. I'm thrilled to see him well. It warms my heart to know he's fully recovered and free of any wounds or scars that might have damaged his handsome face. Beau stands, and I snap out of my thoughts. Is the meeting over?

"You have convinced me that you didn't misuse the funds I gave you," Beau says, matter-of-factly.

I raise a brow. "I'm happy you see it that way."

"Since my business here is done," he begins, buttoning his suit jacket and picking up his phone from the table. "I'll take my leave. Goodbye." He starts to walk out of the boardroom, his associates following him.

I run out behind them and try to get to him before he makes it to the elevator. Reaching out, I grab his arm to stop him, but Beau aggressively pulls out of my hold. I almost lose my balance and fall but manage to steady myself. Something tugs in my heart as tears sting the back of my eyes.

"Beau, please, can we talk? You have a lot you need to explain to me."

"I have nothing to explain to you, Miss Stephen." He turns to face the elevator, ignoring me.

"I believe you do; you push me away when I touch you. You claim I am not the love of your life. If I didn't know any better, I would assume you think I'm someone else."

"I know who you are." He turns away from the elevator and faces me, moving closer until he is only a breath away.

The scent of his intoxicating cologne drifts through my nose. My eyes momentarily close as memories of how I would smell like him for days after we had sex fill my head. I have missed him so much. I wish he'd never leave my side again.

"Then why are you acting like you don't?" My head is aching from trying to figure out what's going on.

"Even if I wanted to forget you, I couldn't." He stares deeply into my eyes, and I can tell he's not lying. He knows who I am, so something else must be behind his strange behavior. The Beau I know wouldn't push me away or speak to me in such a harsh tone.

"Are you angry about what happened in the hospital?" I can understand if he's upset with me for breaking his heart. That could maybe explain why he's been acting the way he has.

I haven't had the chance to tell him yet, but I realized I made a mistake breaking up with him the day he was rescued. Seeing him lying on that bed, barely alive, made me realize a world without him is a world not worth living in. Despite the danger us being together would mean, he is the love of my life, and I want to spend the rest of my days with him.