Chapter 10

A few hours have gone by since I got back from the store and made Beau lunch. It's nighttime, and I should be on the way home, but I'm worried about Beau being alone. I am finding it hard to leave him. The hundreds of ways that his situation could become worse have been floating around in my head all day. I just can't bring myself to leave him.

"Delilah?"

"Yes?" I turn away from the TV to look at Beau.

"Why are you still here?"

"No reason." The last thing I want to do is tell him I'm worried about him. He'd make such a big deal about it.

" It's not because you're worried about me?"

"No."

"Hmm." Beau places his hand on his chin and stares at me, with an amused glint swimming in his eyes.

"What?"

"It amazes me how you think just because you can lie about being worried about me that I will believe you."

"I am not lying; it's the truth. I'm not worried about you."

"It's funny how you think I can't tell you are."

"Okay!" I finally say, exasperated. "Maybe I am worried about you, but I believe that's normal considering what you did for me. Anyone in my shoes would be worried."

"Yes, anyone in your shoes would be, so why do you feel the need to lie about it, Delilah?" He prolongs the pronunciation of my name as he says it. I always loved it when he used my full name. He is the only one that calls me by it. And he's right; I shouldn't have to deny that I'm worried. It's perfectly understandable. But I was concerned he might read too deeply into why I care.

"I didn't want to inflate that huge ego of yours." It's partially true at least.

"Whatever you say, Cher, but it's getting late. You should be on your way home," Beau says, and attempts to stand up from the couch.

I offer my hand to help him, but he pushes it away. "Will you be okay on your own?" Concern laces through my words.

"Yes, I will."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Delilah, I'll be fine."

I think about it for a second before agreeing. "Alright, if you say so, but call me if you need anything. I'll be available at all times for you," I say, picking up my handbag from the coffee table.

"I know." Beau turns and walks towards the staircase while I make my way to the front door.

"Bye," I call out before he disappears upstairs.

I'm turning the doorknob to leave when I hear a crash coming from upstairs. All thoughts of leaving rush from my mind as I run towards the staircase. I take the stairs up so quickly that I almost fall twice. But that doesn't bother me as much as what might have caused the crash.