CHAPTER 41

Throwing the blanket off my body, I sit up and drop my feet over the side of the bed. Glancing at my phone, I see there's a few important messages that I'll need to reply to while at work. At first, it was hard going back into the office after everything that happened, but as the days have passed, I've been grateful for the distraction.

It's been months since my child was taken from me. I can't believe how time flies. A part of me is grateful for how quickly it's passed because it makes it less painful that it's been a month since I last saw Beau. His mother made sure the day we found out about his amnesia was the last time I stepped foot in that hospital. Not even Yennefer could help me.

Not being able to be there for him at such a critical point in his life breaks my heart. I bet he still doesn't even know who I am. I'm certain his mother has made sure of that.

Tears sting the back of my eyes, and I throw my head back, trying to blink them away. My heart breaks every time I think about Beau and his mother's cruelty toward me. Eventually, the tears subside. Gathering my strength for the day, I walk to the bathroom to take a shower and get ready for work.

I smile and nod at the security guard who greets me as I walk into my office building. I'm about to enter the elevator when someone calls my name. Turning, I see Camila's secretary hurrying toward me.

"Good morning, ma'am," she says.

"Morning. Has Camila arrived?" I walk into the elevator.

She follows me and replies, "Yes, and she asked me to inform you to meet her in boardroom five."

I punch the button for our office floor. "Why?" I don't recall any meetings with clients being on our schedule this morning.

"I'm not sure. She just called me and told me to inform you once I saw you."

"Alright, thank you for telling me." Questions whirl in my head, but it's clear Camila didn't tell her secretary much.

Once the elevator reaches our floor, I step out and head straight to boardroom five.

Camila and members of our staff are there, seated across from some other people. The backs of their chairs are facing the door, so I can't tell who they are. My brow scrunches. What's going on?

"Camila, why have you asked me to meet you here?" I ask as the door shuts behind me.

"Lilah, thank God you're here." Camila stands and begins to walk towards me. She looks upset.

I'm immediately concerned. "What's wrong?"

"Nice of you to finally join us, Miss Stephen," a familiar voice says, and my steps halt.

It's not possible, I tell myself. There is no way I just heard that voice. I look at Camila, who stopped walking at the same moment I did. I stare at her, and even though no words come out of my mouth, she answers the question I'm asking inside my head by nodding. Slowly, I turn and face the person who spoke.