Chapter VIII

Monday August 17, 2009 7:00 AM

Michael

I woke to the sound of my alarm ringing in my ear... I shut it off quickly and just laid there waiting for my assistant to knock on the door and give me a rundown of everything I had to do today.

My team kept me busy this weekend. I knew Frank had pulled all the strings he had to get me roped into things I had no plans of being a part of. Aside from the upcoming tour I had to prepare for. Frank had me make a last minute agreement with MTV to perform at the 2009 VMAs on Sunday the twenty third of August. So Friday, I was flown from Vegas to New York City to plan and rehearse at the Radio City Music Hall. I was nominated for several awards, but had every intention of accepting them via satellite. Planning a last minute performance was hectic to say the least, but I gave it my full attention because I wanted the performance to live up to the audience's expectations of me.

Though I wasn't particularly happy... not just because of my own personal reasons, but the way it was done. It was leaked to the media and my fans had already gotten excited about the performance before I had even gotten the opportunity to say yes or no. I hated to disappoint my fans so by this point I could not say no. Which led me to think the media leak was no mistake...

12:15 PM

Arilynn

Mrs. Williams usually came home on her hour lunch break so I left when she got there to take a little break of my own. Janet wanted to meet up at a low key café near the neighborhood. She spent a lot of time in Los Angeles because she had a love interest of her own that she came and stayed with from time to time when their schedules allowed it. It was a very secretive affair and not even I knew much about it.

I nearly broke my neck trying to hurry inside the place. By the time I got to her I only had thirty minutes to chat before having to rush back to the Williams' residence. I sat across from her at table for two. She already had a Frappuccino sitting in front of her. She stirred at it casually until she saw me take a seat.

"What's this big news?!" I asked excitably smiling from ear to ear. It had something to do with Michael, I just knew it!

"Girl, this has to be fate! My brother just agreed to attend and perform at the 2009 VMAs in New York City!" She whispered loudly looking around to make sure no one noticed or saw her.

I shifted my eyes to the side and back to her face. "Um... how is that fate?" he just got further away... I can't go to New York...

"Because you're coming with me!"

"I can't go to New York... I'm working two jobs right now." I said this, but deep down I knew that I'd give almost anything to have another chance to see Michael before this gathering at his family's home. I needed a chance to redeem myself beforehand otherwise that whole party would just be another awkward mess.

There was a fire in Janet's eyes. The one she got when I knew she wasn't taking no for an answer. A sly smile followed and I knew she was already plotting.

Wednesday August 19, 2009 4:35AM

Vivian

I blindly patted around on my pillow as my phone vibrated loudly and the generic Android ringtone blared from the small black device. Who the fuck would be calling me this early?! I answered it eagerly, without even looking at the number on the screen, ready to give the person a good ass chewing. I had to be up in less than three hours to get the kids ready for school.

"Hello?" My voice came out tired, yet very blunt.

"Hey... it's Michael. I'm so sorry, did I wake you?" I squeezed my eyes shut as I felt that little school girl flutter. He called me! He called me! The seventeen year old Vivian would have cheered. It's not like I was completely sad and disappointed that he didn't stop by the bar this weekend... Not at all... Nope, not one bit...