Chapter XXXVII

Saturday, January 23, 2010

7:00PM

Michael

You're a liar. A bold face liar... I said as I looked at myself in the mirror of the bathroom in my parent's house. I had just sent Arilynn home after giving her the excuse that I was exhausted from all the fun we had with my nieces and nephews today. I told her I was going straight to bed and would be up early tomorrow to have breakfast with her family.

Breakfast with her family. I said that. I wasn't ready to meet her family! God, what am I doing?!

Damn those doe eyes of hers... They could make me say anything. I didn't want to see her sad. I didn't want to see her hurting. And I sure as hell was done making her feel like she wasn't important to me. She is.

But so is Vivian. And she sounded like she was in trouble. I'd go, I'd help her in any way I can, give her money, whatever... and then I'm done sneaking around. I eyed my reflection in the mirror. You're done sneaking around. I told myself firmly.

My back pocket buzzed and it was Malik letting me know the jet was ready. The flight to Vegas would be about an hour. I could get there and back in enough time to at least get a few hours of sleep before going through with breakfast with Arilynn's parents.

10:30pm

Vivian

"Where's my beer?!" Some douchebag demanded throwing his hand on the bar top. From the looks of him, he didn't need another beer. I had been standing here zoning out. I had a short text from Michael about an hour ago that said he had landed in Vegas. I'm sure it would take him a while to get here while staying incognito.

I just wanted to get this over with. I wanted him to know and I wanted to know his reaction now! I couldn't take another minute of this anxiety.

"I said a Bud Light!" the guy yelled as I handed him the wrong beer.

God damn, get it together, girl. I told myself as I tried my hardest to focus on the customers. And then a text came.

I'm out back. Didn't have time to do much of a disguise. Can't come inside.

My heart was racing so fast, my fingers were trembling as I texted back.

Few customers in line. I'll be out as soon as I can get away.

I finished serving the last few people standing around at the bar and then let Kelly know I was taking a break. I don't know why... I mean, it's obvious that Michael is taken now, but I felt the need to slip into the bathroom really quickly and make sure my hair and make-up looked right and even sprayed a few squirts of my favorite body spray.

The walk to the back seemed like it took forever, and then finally...

I saw him. He was leaned up against my car with his phone in his hand. I could see the light of the screen reflecting on his face. He did have on sunglasses as night. Looking shady as hell.

"Hey creeper." I said as I got closer to him.

He just smiled and stuck his phone in his shirt pocket. "What's going on? You had me worried."

I laughed nervously. I had forgotten for a moment the major news I had to lay on him. "Yeah... about that... um... So, how have you been? I see things have been going well with the virgin." I laughed softly again. "Can I still call her that or have you...?"

It was his turn to let out a few nervous chuckles. "No..." He turned to me, his features darkened as his back was now to the light emitted from the light pole a ways behind us. But I was facing the light and it felt like it was shining down on me light one big spotlight.