Chapter I

Saturday July 11, 2009 11:02PM

Michael

Sin City... Las Vegas... The city that never sleeps. I gazed at the bright neon lights below me. If I listened hard enough I could hear the traffic, the sirens, and all the other sounds of civilization. I touched the cool glass of the hotel window like a prisoner grasps a bar of his cell.

This is how I enjoy a Saturday night in Vegas. Watching it from my cage... trapped and brooding. Second guessing my happiness with this life I was given... Balancing my love and hate relationship with the level of fame I have achieved.

I moved away from the window with a depressed sigh and took a seat at the small modern, glass topped table in my room. The table was scattered with drawings, poems, half written songs, and pencil shavings... Things I did to keep my mind busy on sleepless nights like this one. How I wish I could just be free... To be able to say ‘Gee I'm feeling restless tonight... Why don't I call my friends up and we'll paint the town to clear our minds.'

But see the thing is, I don't have friends. Just my brothers... And even in their case, since I had moved away from the band and pursued my own solo career, the closeness just wasn't the same. They wanted to be happy for me, but I know deep down they all had jealousy brewing. I understood it, though. Since I had branched out on my own and especially after the success of Thriller, people were forgetting all about the band...

I could talk to my sisters, but they all had their own projects going on... I rarely got to see any of them. Janet was always up for a late night phone conversation if I really needed to vent, but I didn't feel like bothering her tonight.

I had a new album out. Bad. It hadn't quite achieved what Thriller had but it was still doing very well. I put my all into everything I do and I was happy with the way it turned out. Next week rehearsals start for my first world tour as a solo artist at a large arena here in Vegas where the first show was scheduled.

Tomorrow is the twelfth of July. The first show is scheduled for the twelfth of September. I wanted to make sure we had more than enough time for rehearsals without everything feeling so rushed and strained.

Tomorrow was also a Sunday which were resting days. In other words, caged up... dying of boredom. My head was rested against the palm of my hand with my elbow resting on the table. I dug my fingers into my hair. I don't know how much more of this prison life I can take...

A box with gifts from my fans was sitting in the corner of my room. I had people to sift through all the loads of fan mail and sort it. I secretly loved wearing clothes that fans would buy me and sometimes they'd get me the most random things. A black hoodie with an interesting looking skull on the front of it was hanging partially out of the box. It caught my eye. It looked nothing like something I'd wear...

My lips stretched into a mischievous smile.

Tomorrow... would be different.

Sunday July 12, 2009 11:45 AM

Arilynn

Janet Jackson invited me to lunch because she wants to have girl talk. This is my life... I'm not dreaming. This past spring into summer has felt like a dream. I, by a pure strike of luck, had won a spot on her tour as a backup dancer. My original audition was a total disaster. I let my nerves get the best of me and I blew it... But during rehearsals one of the other dancers broke her foot in three places after falling down a flight of stairs and I got my second chance...

We were currently on a break between the legs of her Rhythm Nation world tour and had spent a lot of time just hanging out. Janet is so cool, funny and down to Earth. Nothing like the celebrity I had expected her to be.