Chapter XIII

Wednesday September 2, 2009 9:50PM

Michael

The closer it was getting to the concert date, the more people there were gathered around outside of my hotel and the arena. My security detail and I moved fast through the crowd. All I could see was a mixture of posters, flowers, stuffed animals, screaming faces, wild hair whipping around... The screams were so loud it was no wonder my hearing was getting bad at the young age of thirty. A couple times, I dared to reach out and touch a few people. My security chastised me for it each time, but I didn't care. I know they didn't want to see me get my hand ripped off, but I honestly don't think that any fan would do me that great of harm.

I was ushered inside my white van and Malik quickly pulled the sliding door closed with a slam. "Watch it, ok! You could have gotten someone's fingers!" I cried out. Sometimes my security consumed themselves so much with my safety that they forget about the safety of the rest of the world. I didn't want my fans stomped all over like ants. They were people too...

"We coo, man. We coo." He said sitting back and straightening his suit jacket. I blew out a heavy sigh as I looked around at all of the people. It would be hours before we got back to the hotel safely. I smiled to myself despite the inconvenience. Their love did mean the world to me...

The van moved slowly, stopped, creeped forward, stopped, revved up like we were really about to take out, and then slammed on the breaks... I looked over at Malik. He didn't usually sit in the back with me like this, I usually had these seats to myself, but we had a full car now that we added on the extra security due to the increase in crowds.

He saw me glanced at him and cleared his throat, striking up a conversation to kill the awkward silence. "How you feelin', kid?"

I'm pretty sure we were close to the same age. He was thirty-five max.

"Good." I answered quickly. "Today went really well."

"Hmm." He hummed in agreement. "You got somewhere you sneakin' off to tonight?"

I just looked at him. It was odd... The normal silent, stoic man making an attempt at a personal conversation with me. I giggled a little bit.

"No... not tonight."

"I ain't got any intentions of pryin' but... just a word of advice. Be careful." And just like that he transformed back into the statue I had known him to be and didn't say another word to me for the rest of the drive. He'd seen Vivian the night I had her meet me at the hotel here in Vegas. I'm sure the tattoos and wild hair raised the red flags.  

I didn't really see all that when I looked at her. I just saw someone who was real.

Friday September 4, 2009 10:00PM

Vivian

I didn't even try to put on a smile as I poured a customer's drink. This had been the week from hell... I wasn't even dressed in my uncle's requested attire. I didn't feel like being so exposed tonight. I wore a pair of black skinny jeans and a black blouse that covered every inch of my cleavage. I didn't have any make-up on and my hair just hung in whatever way it wanted to. My blonde roots were beginning to show. I'm fucked... literally fucked... my only option was to start job searching in Vegas, but even then... I wasn't sure my car would consistently make that twenty minute commute four or five days a week. Between the gas money and repairs I'd surely have to pay for, I wasn't entirely sure that would be worth it.

There wasn't a minute that went by that I wasn't repeating the same phrase to myself... I'm fucked...

The karaoke man was in the bar tonight and as usually he asked me to get the crowded started. So, I decided to indulge in a little bit of release. No, I wasn't about to pour my heart out in some emo rock song. I needed something a little bit more... fun. I took a shot and hit the stage.