Chapter III

Friday July 16, 2009 9:30PM

Vivian

No one was decided to step up after my performance, so the DJ began to play regular music. The song ‘Bang Bang' began to play as I stepped away from the stage. I walked across the room behind the bar and up to the mysterious customer. He never took my eyes off of me, though from behind his shades, I couldn't tell exactly where his eyes were looking. I watched him swallow nervously as I leaned against the bar towards him.

"He has returned." I spoke dramatically in a Count Dracula accent.

He smiled a little. His anxiousness really had me curious. What exactly was he doing here? He clearly did not belong here nor was he comfortable here... Why come back? What is so interesting about these small town folks? I cocked my head to the side as I continued to stare at him. He averted his glance back to the crowd with another nervous swallow.

"What are you drinking?" I asked causing him to jump slightly and turn his attention back to me. As he began to speak, I had to lean in really close to hear his soft voice.

"I...uh... I'm not... not much of a drinker. Do you have orange juice?"

I threw my head back and laughed loudly.

"What?" he asked innocently with a light laugh.

"What planet did you come from, dude... This is a bar. You came here to watch people and drink orange juice?" No I didn't think he honestly came here to drink orange juice, but I was hoping the question would give me the real answer to why he was here. But something seemed to have him completely sidetracked all of a sudden.

He leaned to the side looking around me. "Is that jello?" he asked abruptly. My cousin Preston was pulling a tray of bright blue jello shots from the refrigerator behind the bar. "I'll take some jello."

"Two dolla."

"It costs money?" His eyebrows rose.

I laughed again thinking that he was playing, but from what I could see of his face outside of those enormous sunglasses that covered a majority of it, he was dead serious.

"There's alcohol in the jello, sir. Those are jello shots, and yeah they cost money..." I explained trying my best not to laugh at him anymore.

"Ooooh..." he seemed to be getting a little leery of the idea now.

"If you want to try one, go ahead, it's on me." I offered. On me meant free. I don't pay for anything here.

"I...I don't know..." he leaned away from the bar, crossing an arm over his chest self-consciously.

"One, at the most, might give you a buzz." They were quite strong. One could almost instantly buzz a lightweight. Not giving him a chance to argue any further, I spun around and grabbed one off of the tray humming to the music and winking at my cousin as we made eye contact. He gave me that wide-eyed look like ‘oooh here we go' as everyone had their dollars out for their shots.

I slid the shot across the bar at the guy and it hit his arm. He looked at it suspiciously, opening the plastic cup, smelling it, taking a lick of it.

"Pussy..." I teased reaching out and poking his upper arm. He looked down at my hand that just touched him. Up close I could kind of see his eyes through the shades and they traced my hand to my arm. He stared at my tattoo for a while. I lifted the small sleeve of my T-shirt to show him the full thing.

"Did that...hurt?"

"Not at all." I said sarcastically. "Nothing like being stabbed a million times by a needle in the same spot over and over."