Chapter XXI

Sunday October 18, 2009 9:30PM

Michael

Saturday I went home to Havenhurst and spend time with my mother, Rebbie and all of my brothers, their wives, and children. I also spent some time in a few meeting in LA regarding what statements were released here to the press about the cancelled shows in Australia. Of course the American tabloids had stories running wild about how I'd either broken my leg or had fallen terminally ill... Just nonsense.

Today, however... it was back to Vegas. I felt that light little butterfly feeling in my stomach as I put together my disguise. Security was concerned yet again that I had been getting away with too much so Malik drove me into Fairview in a disguise of his own. We walked into the bar at different times, and he sat at the opposite side of the bar from me. I watched him eye Vivian for a moment and then look at me with the slight disapproving shake of his head.

I watched her too. Regardless of what everyone else's intuitions were telling them about her. I felt like I needed her in my life in some way. She was my drug of choice and just being around her was enough of a high for me.

My attention on her was quickly broken as I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Joel?" a voice called to me. For a minute I was lost... I had the worst memory sometimes, but when I looked her in the eye it clicked. Candace... That's right, I'm Joel.

"Oh, uh...yeah! Hi, how are you, Candace? It's nice to see you again." I said trying to sound as naturally as I could. I really didn't like Malik being here. It made me ten times more nervous than I needed to be. I knew he was over there probably getting worried. I didn't want him to do anything that may draw attention to us. It was bad enough managing my own hidden identity out here, but to worry about his too? Geez... My eyes kept shifting back and forth between his and Candace's.

"Nice seeing you too! So what brings you back to Fairview? Viv said you were only here on business..." The way she eyed me implied exactly what she was getting at. She wanted to know if I had come back exclusively to see her friend. Women are either impossibly confusing or unbelievably obvious. Just a few things I've begun to learn.

I chuckled softly and damned the blush that was claiming my cheeks. Whether I was Joel or Michael there was one thing that stayed true about us both. I did come here exclusively for Vivian and it had nothing to do with business.

"Yeah... I um... got another project going out this way..." I lied. I think I've told more lies since I've met Vivian than I have in my entire life. I subconsciously wondered if she was really worth all of this, but one glance her way and her wink in return assured me that it most definitely was.

"Mmm... I see. What is it that you do, exactly?" She asked with suspicion seeping through her tone.

Oh boy I wasn't ready for that question...

"Joel! Oh my God, it's great to see you." Vivian leaned across the bar top, throwing her arms around me. "I want to talk to you outside for a minute." She whispered in my ear while she was close. I nodded at her.

"Thanks." I whispered back to her.

10:00PM

Vivian

I moved away from the bar after swooping in and distracting Candace from potentially blowing Thrillerboy's cover. Though... if he and I are going to stay friends and he's going to be coming around like this... I trusted Candace enough that maybe we should just go ahead and tell her. Having one more person on our team to keep his identity under wraps wasn't a bad idea in my opinion. Which is why I pulled him outside to talk.