F O R T Y

Right now, Rubi and I were on our way to the woman who had taken Manny's money

Right now, Rubi and I were on our way to the woman who had taken Manny's money. I knew it was a bad idea to ask that woman to assist us. She mentioned she wanted to buy her kids clothes and shoes, so I should've known she was going to steal. I'm hoping she'll work with us because if she doesn't, I'll be forced to do something I don't want to do. I'm sorry to see her children without a mother. I glanced over at Rubi while driving and noticed that she had a suspicious expression on her face.

"Why do you have that expression on your face? Do you have anything on your mind?" As I returned my gaze to Rubi and the road, I said.

Rubi had the same expression on her face when she looked over at me. "So, if she doesn't return the money. How are we going to proceed?"

With a "really" expression on my face, I looked at Rubi. "You already know what we need to do, Rubi. I don't want to do it, but we don't have a choice if she doesn't give us the money. Manny is probably going to skin us alive if we don't kill her."

Rubi's skeptic face morphed into a stressed expression. "Oh my God, Angel, I'm sorry, but I don't have time to sit here and bury another body. That shit is aggravating and exhausting. It'll be even more exhausting because that woman isn't as petite as Jayda."

I understand Rubi's point, and burying a body is a lot of work, and I honestly don't want to go through it again, but if she refuses to cooperate, that's what it will come down to.

I let out a sigh. "You make an excellent point, but we must obey Manny's orders."

Rubi sighed heavily, expressing her frustration. My phone started ringing before I could say anything else to Rubi. I grabbed it and realized it was my mother. I tapped on Rubi's shoulder and showed her who was calling my phone.

"Why is your mother calling me now?"

Rubi burst out laughing. "I'm guessing she's calling because Nau'Jour snitched on you."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "If that's what she's calling for, then Nau'Jour is definitely a fucking snitch."

I finally answered the phone for my mother while Rubi laughed at what I said.

"Yes, mommy?" In a sweet tone, I said.

"Don't yes mommy me. I'm not sure what's going on, but Nau'Jour called and said that guy Manny beat him up for no reason. Why would you give him permission to touch Nau'Jour? I'm confident he arrived with good intentions. He only wanted to give you some presents for your birthday." With a sneer, my mother said.

"Wait a minute, you're going to take his side without even listening to me or Manny?" I enquired with a sneer as well.

"Well, the way he's saying it, it sounds like you guys started with him, so I trusted him."