F O R T Y T H R E E

"PREGNANT???!!"

"PREGNANT???!!"

Rubi and our mother both stared at me with their eyes wide open and their mouths wide open. I was as surprised as they were. I can't believe I'm pregnant and have no idea who my child's father could be. I'm not sure if I should tell Manny or Trevante. They might all freak out as well. I don't think I need to have a child right now. This is an unusual way to commemorate my birthday.

"Yes, Ms.White, you are two weeks pregnant. Here is all of your documentation that explains everything. Please contact me if you have any further questions." The doctor said.

My mother quickly grabbed the paper and scanned it. "Oh my goodness. I'm having a grandchild."

Rubi gave a shake of her head. "Damn, who's the father?"

I quickly punched Rubi on the shoulder and returned my gaze to the doctor. "I appreciate you informing me about my pregnancy. I think I'm finally ready to go home."

The doctor gave a nod. "Let me get your discharged papers ready and you will be good to go. Please be gentle with yourself and take good care of your baby."

I agreed by nodding. We all looked at each other after the doctor left.

"When are you going to tell Manny you're pregnant? I'm sure he'll be delighted." With a smile, my mother said.

I let out a sigh. "I'm not sure yet. I'll need some time to consider that."

Rubi burst out laughing. "It's crazy because I thought I'd be the first to get pregnant."

I rolled my eyes. "Exactly, but noooo look at me."

To comfort me, my mother ran her fingers through my hair. "Well, you're pregnant now, and there's nothing you can do about it now. We will do everything we can to assist in raising this child. I might have to take some time off work to assist you."

My head shook. "I appreciate it, momma, but you don't have to take time off work just yet. I know how to take care of myself, and I'm confident Rubi and Manny will assist me."

My mother gave me a sad expression. "Ok, but please call me and let me know if you require my assistance. I will gladly take the day off from work."

I agreed by nodding. The doctor returned and handed me my discharge papers. The doctor also disconnected me from the machine. Before leaving the room, the doctor double-checked that I was fine. We quickly left and dropped my mother off at her hotel. I'm glad she got a hotel room because I don't want her to see Miguel. She'll go insane if she does. After that, it took us a while to get home. I noticed Manny's G Wagon parked in the driveway after we got home. My Jeep isn't parked in the driveway. Trevante most likely drove it to his crib.