It's a Lonely, Lonely World (Shadow the Hedgehog x Reader)

A/n: It's literally less than a thousand words but it took me forever.

The bar was loud and hot and reeked of alcohol and regrets. Shadow shoved his way to the counter where Rouge was pouring several shots. She looked up as Shadow gripped the edge of the counter, shaking his head.

"Too much?" she asked, grinning. "Come on, Shadow. Enjoy yourself!"

Coming off the adrenaline of a taxing but successful mission, Shadow was in no mood to get hungover or embarrass himself on the dance floor. Not like he'd do it on a normal day, anyway. Rouge slid the shots to the excited patrons, resting her elbow on the counter and lifting an amused brow towards the dark hedgehog.

"I need to get some air," he huffed out, stumbling away from the bar towards the back door. Rouge called something after him, but her voice was lost to the pounding of the bass and the elated shouts rippling across the dance floor.

The door swung shut behind him, a blast of frigid air meeting him in the alley. The bass still thumped loudly through the walls and the door flew open again to a couple laughing hysterically and tripping over each other. Shadow teleported onto the fire escape before they could notice him, gripping the railing to watch them stumble out of sight and earshot.

"I never understood that." He whirled around, brows lifting at the (a/t) lounging on the stairs of the fire escape with a bottle of cider in her hand. She used it to gesture to where the couple had disappeared. "Getting drunk and waking up with too many regrets." She took a swig of her cider. "It's alcohol free; I'm no hypocrite."

"I didn't think Rouge would have such a selection," Shadow finally said, leaning back against the railing and resting his elbows against it.

"She's a good hostess, I'll give her that." Shadow blinked slowly, sweeping his gaze over the strange (a/t). She tapped the bottle against the stairs, exhaling a soft breath. "I didn't think you'd be the type to get even close to something like this."

He didn't, either. He didn't voice this, however; simply stared at her, his gaze following the rim of the bottle as she brought to her lips once more. She pulled it away after a moment and extended it to him. Out of some strange impulse, he took it, keeping his gaze locked on hers as he lifted it to his mouth. Her lips quirked upwards, a careless recklessness in her eyes seeming to draw him closer.

"A friend dragged me here," he murmured, almost conspiratorially as he pressed the bottle into her hand. "Alcohol isn't the only thing you can get drunk on."

"Of course," she said, her half smile still present. She swirled the contents of the bottle, her gaze flicking down to watch the motion. Shadow's remained fixed to her face. "Don't even get me started. Wine, actual cider, beer, rum..." She met his eyes once more with a flash of teeth, leaning forward with half lidded eyes. "Adrenaline."

Shadow bobbed his head lightly, pushing off the railing and lowering to his knees. She took a lazy swig from the bottle, passing her tongue over her lips. He followed the motion, slowly dragging his gaze back to hers.

"Adrenaline," he murmured thoughtfully. "There's more than one type, isn't there?"

A slow smile spread across her face and he shifted forward as she leaned towards him. She hummed softly as their noses brushed, and he could feel her sultry grin against his mouth. His lips parted and he sucked in a sharp breath as she pressed forward, nipping playfully at his bottom lip. Shadow growled softly, pushing her back against the stairs and tilting his head to get a better taste.

She slid her hand around his waist, pulling herself against him. He broke away in surprise, opening his eyes briefly just before she kissed him again, deep and slow. Heat bloomed in his chest, his hand lifting to cradle the back of her neck. He tugged her lip between his teeth, his ear twitching with satisfaction at the small noise she made in response before he pulled his mouth away from hers, dragging his lips along her jaw.

She hummed softly, raising her hand to run along his quills. Shadow braced his hand on the stairs behind her, bringing his lips back to hers and savoring the sweet taste of the cider she'd been drinking and the escape she offered.

She pulled away after a moment, and Shadow found himself chasing after her, though she merely smiled, her eyes half lidded.

"I figured you'd at least ask me my name first," she murmured, brushing her thumb across his bottom lip. He raised an eyebrow, catching her wrist and tugging her closer, her free arm looping reflexively around his neck.

"Are you complaining?" he responded quietly, his nose lightly bumping against hers. She tilted her head up and he caught her lips in a lingering kiss.

"I didn't say that," she purred, and he squeezed her wrist. She shifted her free hand, dragging it over his shoulder and down his chest. "I'm more than happy to help you run away from whatever's chasing you."

"Is that so?" Shadow used the hand holding her wrist to place it around his neck, sliding his hand slowly down her arm and brushing his fingers across her shoulder and down her side before settling it on her hip. He pulled her against him so there was hardly an inch of space between them, his lips quirking devilishly at the heat in her gaze. He leaned in, his lips brushing hers with every word. "I think I'll take you up on that."

She eagerly returned his kiss; her touch was as intoxicating as any liquid beverage, but Shadow couldn't tear himself away.

Maybe he'd regret it later, but right now, all he cared about was the feeling of her lips on his and the taste of her bittersweet company.

A/n: Don't go around kissing people you don't know.

It's another practice kiss scene; whatdya know? No, I didn't stare at the screen forever without writing a single word, how dare you assume.