Runaway (Sonic the Hedgehog x Reader)

"Has anyone seen Sonic?" Tails asked, poking his head into the living room of his workshop. (Y/n) and Knuckles shrugged, Amy sighing.

"I knew this would happen," she said. "He's been avoiding the topic every time I bring it up."

"I mean, turn on the TV, he'll probably show up there," Knuckles said. (Y/n) grabbed the remote and flicked on the television, the news popping up. Sure enough, shaky footage of Sonic wrecking Badniks was the first story.

"Why does this even show up anymore?" (Y/n) muttered. "He does this every day."

"That looks like Central City," Tails said. "I'll make a call."

Tails ducked out of the room and the (a/t) turned the TV off. "Maybe we should just let him be," she said. "He clearly doesn't want the attention."

"Sonic doesn't want attention?" Knuckles snorted. "Yeah, right. Something else is eating at him."

(Y/n) sighed, pushing herself up. "I bet I know," she murmured, slipping out of the room and heading outside. She tapped her communicator, waiting while it beeped.

"What's up?" Sonic's voice came through after a moment.

"Everyone's wondering where you are," (Y/n) responded.

"Seen the news?" A crash of metal. "Sorry, (Y/n), I'm a little busy right now."

"Everyone's wondering where you are," she repeated pointedly, "because I'm being held hostage right now."

"Oh, real funny," Sonic said somewhat breathlessly. Glass shattered on his end. "Who's got you this time? Rough and Tumble? Hope they don't bust your eardrums with their awful rhymes."

"Eggman," (Y/n) growled.

"Eggman's here with me, you liar."

"Doesn't mean he can't hold my captive, you idiot." She gasped, pretending she'd been shocked and making pained noises. She held her communicator slightly away from her mouth. Sonic sighed.

"I know you're not in trouble," he said. She glared at her communicator. "(Y/n), come on." He grunted, several smashing sounds lighting up the screen. She rolled her eyes and shut off her communicator. She waited a minute, smirking as it lit up again. "(Y/n), you're not in trouble, right?" She held her breath, staring at the screen. "Okay, really, not funny." A loud smash and then Sonic was running; she could hear the wind rushing past the speaker.

"Time to make his life a pain," she said, muting her communicator and turning back to the workshop. "Tails, fire up the Tornado!"

~

"You good here? We've been leading him around for a sufficient amount of time, I think," Tails called as they circled a mountain peak.

"Yeah, drop me off and head home. I'll have him run me back if he doesn't hate me," (Y/n) said. Tails nodded and landed the Tornado, allowing her to hop out. She waved gratefully to him and he saluted before taking off and disappearing into the clouds.

And just as she'd expected, Sonic skidded to a stop in front of her only seconds later. He looked around, still in an offensive stance, before seeming to realize she wasn't in danger. She set her hands on her hips and he matched her stance.

"Really, (Y/n)?" he said irritably. "I really was in the middle of something."

"You didn't invite the team. We could have wrapped it up faster, at least gotten out to dinner, maybe a movie-"

"I told you guys I don't have time for any of that," Sonic said, turning away and dropping into a crouch.

"Oh, so you're just going to run off? Just like that?" she snapped. "And leave me here?"

"I'm sure Tails flew you up here," Sonic replied.

"Sonic," she groaned. "This day comes about once a year, and you've never turned down a celebration before. Why this time?"

"I have plans," he said evasively.

"Smashing Badniks? Is that really more important than your friends who care about you?" She tilted her head. "Okay, fine. Then what day does work for you?"

"Um...I don't know. My schedule's all over the place..." He was sounding less and less certain by the second and (Y/n) stepped forward, opening her arms as he straightened and turned to her. He kept his eyes downcast briefly before he looked up, rushing forward and wrapping his arms tightly around her waist and burying his face in her shoulder. She squeezed him in return.

"It's your birthday, Sonic," she whispered into his fur. "Why don't you want to celebrate?"

"It's stupid," he mumbled, squeezing her tighter.

"You can talk to me about anything," she assured him, sinking down to her knees with him. He pulled back, keeping his hands locked around her waist and his gaze fixed on his lap. "Sonic..."

"I've seen things on the media," he blurted. "Things I've never seen before. Before, I was just a kid, a loose cannon doing his own thing, no expectations. But now there's expectations. I'm turning eighteen, (Y/n). And it's so dumb, but that's scary. I don't want those expectations. I don't want people looking at me any differently just because I'm older. I still want to be free, but I feel like the world is forging chains and all I want to do is run away."

She listened patiently while he ranted and when he finished, she nuzzled his nose with hers.

"So, you're going to let the world dictate your future?" she said.

"I...um..." He coughed, his cheeks flaring red.

"Sonic, you're eighteen! If there's any time to be choosing for yourself, it's now! And honestly, who cares about what the world thinks? You've never cared before." She put her hands on his cheeks. "And we, your friends, aren't going to change how we view you just because you're older. You're still Sonic. You're still ours in all the ways that matter."

"Yours, huh?" Sonic said with a sly smirk. In one smooth movement, he pulled her onto his lap, gazing up at her with half lidded eyes. "I guess age is just a number, right?"

"If Tails hasn't proved that, I don't know what will."

"True." He brushed his nose against hers. "Okay, I feel a little better now."

"Mhm," she murmured, pressing a slow kiss to his lips. He chased her touch as she pulled back, smiling at him. "Now, before we get carried away, Amy already bought tickets to that movie you've been raving about; we'll wear baseball caps and everything."

"Can we just stay up here a little longer?" he whispered, trailing his lips along her jaw. "I promise I'll get us down in time for the movie." She sighed contentedly, brushing her fingers gently through his fur.

"Of course," she said quietly, pressing her lips to his forehead. "Anything for the birthday boy."

A/n: Happy birthday, Sonic!

Totally did not write this in an hour in a car on my way to a dance tour.