A New Light (Vampire!Shadow the Hedgehog x Reader)

(Y/n) crouched down on the rooftop, aiming her gun down at a figure hunched over something. She hoped it wasn't a body. 

She was hunting. For vampires. Strange, yes. The city didn't exactly know about them, but that was because they could blend in perfectly with the normal Mobian population. They attacked at night when no one was around to see them and the bodies of the victims were rarely found. 

(Y/n) didn't want to kill anyone, but she did want to save the city. 

Theoretically, a vampire's bite could turn its victim into a vampire, and some of the victims (Y/n) had been studying had returned. Vampires only killed people if they were extremely hungry, from what she'd found. If not, they were turned into one of the bloodthirsty monsters. 

So (Y/n) had been trying to develop a cure. If she could cure the vampires of their immortality, basically everything that made them vampires, then she could save hundreds of lives. 

She just didn't know if it would work. 

The (a/t) looked through the sights of her gun, finding a bare spot on her subject's neck. However, before she could fire, someone tackled her from behind, knocking the gun out of her hands. She grunted and rolled to the side, standing up. Her opponent was practically invisible except for softly glowing red stripes on his head, arms, and legs. His eyes were a deeper red, glaring at her. 

(Y/n) moved around her opponent, checking the position of her gun. Behind him. He seemed to get what she was going for and stepped back, picking up the gun and pointing it at her. "Are you going to shoot me?" she said suddenly, stopping and raising her hands. "It won't do anything. I'm not going to kill anyone." Her opponent eyed her, then took the magazine out of the gun, checking the ammo. Just a dart. 

"What is this?" he asked, holding up the dart. 

"An elixir for vampires," the (a/t) said. "I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes people go missing and it's impossible to find them, or some come back with weird tempers and behavior." 

"Well, I suppose so," the newcomer said. He closed his fist around the dart. "What does the elixir do?" 

"I haven't tested it on a real vampire yet, but from my research, a vampire's bite can turn a regular Mobian into one of them. So I was wondering if there was any way to reverse that." The newcomer studied her. "I hope you didn't think I was going to try and kill anyone." 

"Perhaps that is what I thought." He handed the gun back to her, but he held onto the dart. 

"Um, what are you going to do with that?" she asked, nodding at his fist. 

"Perhaps I could study with you," he said. "I have a certain interest in vampires myself." 

"Oh, um, I don't know." 

"Please," he said, stepping over to her. "I insist." 

~

His name was Shadow the Hedgehog. Apparently her research was just fascinating. He studied every part of it, wandered around her lab, poked around with the prototypes she'd been using. She watched it all with a bored expression, resting her head in her palm as she sat by the door. 

"You finished yet?" she asked. Shadow looked up at her, narrowing his eyes in a silent threat. She sighed. "Right." He continued reading the test journal and (Y/n) closed her eyes, dozing off. 

"(Y/n). (Y/n), wake up." She opened her eyes to Shadow waving the journal in front of her. "How did you find this?" 

"That? Oh, those are just theories," she said, grabbing the journal and skimming over her writings. "I'm not going off much here. Just some stuff I've inferenced. I mean, the turning into vampires, I have evidence to support that one, but how to reverse it, that's just a bunch of chemical crap. I'm relying on science, here, but vampires are mythical creatures."