Chapter 39: What The...

H

"I have a tournament next week, can you come?" Asked Paris whilst she was doing her hair.

"Yeah of course!" I looked at her as if she was dumb. I make every single one of her big competitions so it shouldn't even be a question.

"Guess what. I forgot to tell you, but Zike is dead. Tellise hasn't been in school all week, but Shanice has been updating me on her well-being. I'm worried for CJ." Sighed P.

"He's good don't worry about him." I grabbed a slice of ham and pineapple pizza.

Zike being dead was slightly worrying, but at the same time I felt relieved. Why was looking for me anyways? What if he had a message for me from CJ?!

"When's the last time you've spoken to CJ?" She tied up her hair which were in single plaits. She did them herself, making me proud!

"A couple of weeks ago, but if he wasn't okay he'd make sure to tell me." I was confident about that until I said it out loud. Was this why ZK wanted to find me?

"If he's dead abroad how would you know?" She shot me a serious worried glare.

"Don't scare me!" I frowned and shook my head.

Shit!

"Wake the fuck up! Since your little breakup with your boyfriend you've been isolated on your skinny ass. I haven't heard updates on: a house, CJ or any jobs. Bro I'm worried man!" She whined loudly.

"That wigga was never my boyfriend! Housing office and agencies are shut for the Christmas holidays, so I can't do shit till January. Jobs are tight at the moment, but I have enough money to secure us for now." I yawned lazily.

"I read your messages." She blurted out, but I could tell she instantly regretted it when she saw my face.

"What do you mean you read my messages?!" I said slowly. This lil girl! I was ready to clap her up for being too big for her boots.

"Hear me out!" She repeated twice.
"You gave me your phone to check if the food delivery driver was here, a week ago. As I called them a bunch of messages came through and I tried to swipe them away, but accidentally clicked on one. So I couldn't help but read all the 'sorries' and 'I miss you' messages. To be frank, I don't think you should blame him for his mum's actions." She sipped her tea. I didn't even realise she had made a cuppa.

"He didn't say 'I miss you'." I huffed and looked away.

"No, but he 'inferred' it." She grinned at her choice of words.

"He didn't even correct her about it! His mum called me a nigger!" I raged.
That shit was it for me. Usually shit like that don't phase me, but I felt embarrassed especially after the moment we had shared. I took it personally although I shouldn't of.

Quinton also barricaded me from his so called mum. She looked too young to be a mum of someone his age. How old is he even? Was he embarrassed of me?
In that moment I let Stacy White's taunting statement create scenarios in my head and it hurt my feelings. I shouldn't feel so attached to Quinton, he probably had a bad perception of black people already and I wasn't helping matters by being needy.
I don't need him!

"Okay, but she's posh and white. You know they don't know shit! Not to defend her, but she's a woman who's probably had to do God knows what to survive in a man's world. Plus she's probably been fed doo doo by the media. Don't take this out on him, talk to him! Have a conversation about it and how his actions were unacceptable!" She threw her hands in the air.

Paris was mature with these sorts of matters. She was my closest confederate with most matters in fact, which often lead me to forget her age.

"But that would show that I cared! I don't care." I rolled my eyes, taking another bite of my pizza.