Chapter 41: Mates?

Q

"So i have to stay here with you, because I'm a target? Why would I be a target for hanging out with you? Can't your security bat the predictors away?" He cocked his pretty little head to the side.

I didn't want to panic him and drive him away from me. I could sense his skepticism when he felt my presence in the kitchen. I needed to tell him the truth, but I was anxious to reveal to him what I was. I was approaching the matter stealthily.

"I don't like to speak on it, but I'm a person with a high ranking in this world. I am not your average businessman who earns his living trying to make million dollar profits." I sighed.

"You best start speaking, because you're confusing me. What is you then? A cartel mafia boss or some shit?" He snorted.

His dark ebony eyes waited for a response. I have to tell him!

"I am an aristocrat." I looked at him with brace.

His expression remained blank as he stared at me anticipating more from me.

"Is that all?" He rubbed his nose.

Did he not care? Or was he not aware?

"Well for now, yes." I disclosed apprehensively.

His deep coffee irises rolled with annoyance. His sleek brows furrowed into a deep frown.

"What do you mean for now?" His voice raised.
"Are you going to spit out who you are and why that effects me, or are you going to continue to sugarcoat this bullshit?" He stood up.

He walked over to the poole table, several metres away and leaned his arse against it. He crossed his arms and looked me directly in the eyes.

Fuck! Why is this so hard?

"My titles given to me are duty bound. I am the leader of many organisations which makes me of high importance... not to sound boastful. It's not a thing I'm proud of or prideful of, it's an inherited responsibility which comes at a great cost. Because of who I am and my role into this society I am constantly being watched. This effects you, because you are my mate." I leaned over and looked down at my hands.

"No offence, but I don't think it's appropriate for us to continue being mates if you're a targeted VIP. I have enough of my own shit to deal with, I don't need people after me for being mates with you." He affirmed with an unsure look to his face. He shook his head to solidly clarify his words.

The sound of rejection made a coldness spike my heart, but I wasn't going to accept it. I haven't come all this way to just be rejected by my mate for him to say he don't want to be mates anymore.

"You can't reject me, it doesn't work like that." I declared.

"So, what? You expect me to risk mine and Paris' life to continue a friendship with you?" He ridiculed.

"What we have isn't just a friendship." His remark to our bond was derogatory so of course I was offended.

"Our 'business' then." He mocked.

Is he serious right now?!

"Holland, we're mates. Even if I wanted to let you walk away from me my beast would come out and kill everyone that looks your way, do you want that?" I was in disbelief, did he really want the trouble?

"What?" His voice shrunk and he paled sullenly. His heartbeat, something I couldn't help but hear, rapidly started beating in fear.

"I'm not trying to hurt you. I.. uh.. I admire you." I looked away. I loved him, but I couldn't get myself to say it. I already felt vulnerable, but he's just not understanding or caring for my feelings.

"Y-you admire me?" He scoffed. "But yet you want to kill me?!" He was being hysterical.

My blood began to boil from the frustration. I held back my urge to growl at him, because he was already 'frightened' of me.

"Please.." I sighed with irritation, squeezing the bridge of my nose.

"I'm not doing this." He huffed.
"Either kill me or let me go, I'm not being your hostage. I am not going to risk my sister's life for being friends with a millionaire." He stomped his foot defeatedly before attempting to walk past me.

I grabbed his arm.
How dare he?!

"I'm a fucking centillionaire, gold runs through the veins of my blood! I am your soulmate, king and protector of the lands above the sea! You won't fucking walk away from me and disregard what's destined for we!" I snapped.
I breathed out heavily looking down to my feet.

I let go of him. Moments passed by with an atmosphere that contained a heavy silence and a weighty stillness.

I couldn't bare to look at him right now. I was hurt. I was mad. I was tired... I hadn't slept for the past 2 days. I was waiting for him to wake up from his coma. I was beyond anxious, because his heart rate was slow and low. I was paranoid about my actions at the hotel, not that I regretted what I did to that weak human, but because of how my actions affected Holland. Having a mate was not just glitter and gold, it was a reckoning that changes you.

I walked out of the poole area and headed upstairs. I left him standing there  to reflect on whatever it was he needed to. Why do I feel so melodramatic?

I walked into the kitchen to grab a protein shake from the fridge. I was glad that I had prepared them earlier.

"How did it go?" Cheerfully asked Chris.

"Ugh." I scoffed. "He just doesn't get it!" I slammed the fridge door.

"Do you want me to have a word?" Chris offered.

"Don't waste your breath." I looked outside the window to see Mr Grant and Paris do some watering in the garden.

She was a helpful little sport wasn't she?

"Okay fine. Go talk to him, but I'm going to my gym room. I don't want to be disturbed. If he wants to freshen up I have clothes for him in the spare bedroom." I walked off.

I was going to exercise this tension and then sleep. My energy levels stood at 2%.

Does he feel what I feel???

__
A/N:
A chapter where you see Quinton tapping into his emotions a bit more.. ops?