Chapter 33

I'll be nice enough to tell you it won't be Edward or Hope. Or Samuel cause I like that dude.

Edward:

We pulled up to the house that Samuel and Dakota are in, and went inside quickly. If wolves are starting to take Hope's leadership into question and are getting violent about it, she doesn't need to be seen just yet.

"Samuel, is Dakota okay?" Hope asked as we walked into the house. I shut the door behind us and we all sat down in the living room.

"She's a little frightened but she's okay, she wasn't hurt thankfully."

"That's good," I responded.
There was a crash from upstairs followed by the sound of Dakota screaming.
"What the hell?"

We quickly went upstairs and followed the direction of the noise. We entered the room and saw two men in black trying to climb out the window and Dakota laying on the floor. Hope and I both grabbed the men's necks and threw them on the floor. I locked the window and then Hope checked Dakota for a pulse. "She's dead."

Hope:

"Kill them both," was all I said before taking Dakota's dead body and going back downstairs. They both committed treason against their former luna and against me. I have no tolerance for disloyalty, and should I witness something like that again, they'll meet the same fate.

"There will be a memorial service tomorrow at the cemetery, we will lay her to rest in the part where my family lies, next to her husband," I told Samuel. I liked Dakota. She was sweet, and nice. She didn't deserve to be murdered, only to die of natural cause like old age. She was almost going to be ninety, but didn't get the chance.

"Yes ma'am," Samuel responded. He wrapped her up in a blanket and then put her in a casket that was reserved for her for when she did pass.

"You two can't stay here if there are going to be constant break-ins and attacks," Edward said.

"We don't have a choice," I replied. "If the wolves notice us not staying here then those that are responsible are going to think Samuel and I are weak. They're already against us, I need to show them that I'm strong and that I can hold my ground and do what needs to be done for them. What alpha runs away and hides?"

"There's a different between running and hiding to keep yourself safe."

"Edward, you said on the plane you'd stand by me no matter what I do. You have to trust that I'm going to be fine. Right now they think I'm still in the States, hopefully their attacks stop when they realize I'm here."

"Okay," he sighed.
I don't want Edward to feel like I'm not listening to him, but he needs to understand strategy. More attacks will come if they see me cowering away and only being afraid for my safety and not theirs. Leaders put everyone else's needs above their own, and I'm also taking my child into consideration, so he needs to trust me. And to be fair I am way older than him.

********

The following day, I made my presence known by walking through the open land that everyone's homes stood on. Samuel followed behind me as we let everyone know that there will be a memorial service at the cemetery, not saying who just yet. After that we went back to the house and discussed what we were going to do.

"Once we've grouped the wolves together, we can announce who has fallen and notice whoever doesn't react. Those will be the ones that have been orchestrating this," Samuel said.

"That's smart. Dakota seemed to be loved by many wolves, so those that genuinely cared for her will have a reaction. We should also say the manner of death along with it, that way they know that there are murderers among them," Edward added.

"That'll send them into a frenzy, it'll be nothing but chaos," I responded.

Samuel sighed. "This is our only chance. If we announce she's been murdered, it'll cause those who are responsible to act in a sadistic way. Some would smile, or even whisper to each other."

"Alright, we'll do it."
Around midday everyone headed towards the cemetery. We had a few of the pack warriors we knew we can trust take Dakota's casket and place it near a dug grave next to her husband's. Edward, Samuel, and I made it there before everyone else did, and when they arrived, Samuel began.

"Dakota is no longer with us. She was killed last night, by two wolves that we caught and punished."
We scanned the crowd, and over in the back right, stood a group of four wolves laughing and smirking to themselves. I sent a look over to guards that we posted around everyone, and four each left their posts to tie them to trees.

"Long live the luna!" Someone shouted.

"Do the same with them," I ordered guards. They grabbed the person responsible and did the same to him as they did the other four wolves. By the end of the service, we had gotten almost half of the pack. Five percent of them confessed, and they were all killed for treason. They may not have done the deed, but they were just as responsible.
"I'm not cruel, but I stand by justice. Dakota didn't deserve to be killed, she's a kind soul and never did anything to harm anyone. Nothing justifies killing your ex leader, so the only rightful justice is death. Wolves have been conspiring against Samuel and I for a while. Just last night before Dakota's death, was her bedroom window broken by a rock. Anyone even thinking about committing treason, will be killed in the same way all of these wolves were. And rest assured families, your traitor family members will still be buried, but in another part of the cemetery where wolves like these will be buried starting today."

The wolves from the basement were killed and buried next to the other guilty conspirators. I don't usually condone death as a form of punishment, but in cases like these, either death or torture is necessary. But I wasn't going to pain families by seeing their loved ones tortured so a quick death was what they got.
I stayed a few more days after Dakota's burial, all was quiet. There were no protests, no attacks, not even whispers. Edward and I were able to go back home to Forks safely while still resolving a dangerous issue. I told him I'd be fine and that I'd handle it, and I did.

When we got home, Xavier was still there. And I was okay with that, because I wanted him around. He wasn't completely trusted by anyone besides Edward and I yet, especially Jacob, but Esme is allowing him to stay.
Even if I was angry at him, he's still my best friend. Xavier did admit to me the night I left that he still has feelings for me, and hasn't even found his mate yet, but he promised not to do anything since I'm mated to Edward.

Edward and I spent hours at the beach in La Push in silence with small talk here and there. He loves to be in nature as much as I do, though he prefers the meadow rather than the ocean.

"The waves are calming."

"Yes they are," Edward replied.
He chuckled, and I turned on my side to face him.

"What?"

"She likes it too."

"You can hear her?"

"It was random, and the weirdest thing, but yes." Edward and I laughed, and he pulled me close to him as we laid on the sand. This was my happy place. On the beach, with Edward and eventually a baby that we can shower with love. I've found where I was always meant to be. Mine and Jasper's younger selves would laugh if we were told in the army that one day we'd both become vampires and have mates and I'd have a kid. But it's real, and I wouldn't change being a hybrid for anything.

It's a little short but I have chores to do so I probably won't update until tomorrow.