004.

JANUARY 20TH, 1986
📍hawkins high school
10:17 AM

"i just don't understand why you want to move classes, matilda. this is the higher english class, and frankly you're the best student i have."

tillie smiled at the compliment from her english teacher, mrs ford. "it's just, erm.."

matilda thought for a moment. how was she supposed to tell her teacher that the reason she wanted to exchange classes was because almost the entirety of the basketball team was in this one, and that made her extremely uncomfortable?

"did something happen? do you need to talk-"

tillie shook her head, tucking her blonde locks behind her ears. "i just-"

"i've seen some of the boys talking to you," mrs ford spoke gently. "is there something going on that i should know about?"

"no, no," matilda replied quickly. "i just, kind of feel uncomfortable sometimes," she tried to explain without giving too much away.

the teacher nodded in understanding. "well, er, i could change seats if you'd like? i can move you next to your sister or miss wheeler?"

"no, that's okay, thank you," matilda smiled lightly. "i just think it would benefit me to move classes, so i can focus more."

"i don't think it would benefit you, though, matilda," mrs ford sighed, running a hand through her dark, slightly greying hair. "as i said, this is the higher class. moving to the lower one would very likely affect your grades."

"my grades are already being affected, though. aren't they?" the blonde wasn't dumb, she knew she'd been distracted and therefore not trying as hard as she usually would at school.

mrs ford looked down at her lap. "i wasn't supposed to be handing results out til wednesday, but in the recent paper you got a c."

matilda bit her lip nervously, trying to avoid eye contact with the older woman.

"matilda, a c is very unlike you. you're normally the highest achiever in this class. something is going on with you. how are things at home?"

"fine," tillie replied almost immediately, to the point where it likely raised suspicion. "everything's fine," she repeated, more slowly this time.

"have you been sleeping?"

no. "yes. i've been sleeping fine, too. everything is fine."

mrs ford exhaled heavily. "i'm not going to force you to tell me anything, but i can tell something is wrong. you've been acting different since we came back from christmas break."

"i appreciate the concern, but i really am fine," tillie responded, forcing a smile and strong voice.

the teacher nodded, and grabbed a pen to sign the transfer forms. "i'm going to miss having you in my class, matilda. but i want you to know, that you can always come and talk to me if you need to, okay?" she handed the girl the form, looking her straight in the eyes.

"okay," matilda said with a small smile, taking the piece of paper. "thank you, miss."

- 📻🪐🏹 -