009.

FEBRUARY 6TH, 1986
📍cunningham house
17:37 PM

"hey, tillie, can i come in please?"

jumping off her bed, matilda headed towards her bedroom door, opening it for her sister to enter. looking her twin up and down, matilda asked "date night?"

"yeah, do i look okay?" chrissy queried, dusting of her skirt with her hands.

tillie turned around and walked back to her position on her bed. "you look beautiful, chrissy," she smiled at her twin. "you always do."

chrissy looked down, a grin present on her face. she walked into the room with a skip in her step, closing the door behind her. she grabbed the chair from under tillie's desk, pulling it closer to the bed and sitting down on it. "are you okay, tils?"

she took note of her sisters paler than usual complexion, the dark eye bags that lay under her dull orbs, and the grease that ran through her hair that had been thrown back into a bun.

"hm?" matilda said, turning to look at her sister. "i'm.. i'm fine. really, i'm fine. perfectly fine, in fact. people need to stop asking me if i'm okay. i'm fine. like, really fine. really, really fucking fine."

"fine isn't good," chrissy spoke softly. "fine isn't great. fine is just okay. mediocre. fine is the middle of happy and sad."

"would you rather i be sad?"

chrissy rolled her eyes at her sisters attempt at light humor. "you're not okay, tillie." matilda scoffed at her sisters comment. "something's been up with you lately."

yes, something was up. she hadn't spoken with eddie in almost a week, she felt incredibly guilty for some of the things she said to him, she was falling behind in every subject at school, and her mental health was at its lowest.

whenever they saw each other at school, there was always some sort of awkward eye contact. eddie always wore a longing gaze, and tillie always awkwardly glanced away once meeting it.

of course, he'd tried talking to her. he wanted nothing more than to makeup and rekindle the strange relationship they had prior. however, everytime he stepped within eight feet of her, she would turn on her heels and head the opposite direction as hastily as she could.

it wasn't like she didn't want to talk to him. overthinking, matilda had almost convinced herself that after the things she said, he wanted nothing to do with her. part of her hoped it wasn't true. part of her knew it wasn't.

he was also, like near enough everyone in her life, someone matilda didn't believe she deserved. and with those kind of people, she tended to push away. the only exception was chrissy, who she couldn't literally leave, as they obviously lived together. but still, she tried to close off as much as possible, so she didn't feel as much of a burden.

"nothings been up with me," matilda stated, trying to convince chrissy. "did you not hear me ten seconds ago? i'm fine."

"did you not hear me ten seconds ago?" chrissy repeated her words. "fine does not equal happy, matilda."

crossing her arms firmly across her chest, the blonde looked away from the other.

"you can talk to me, tillie," chrissy said gently, reaching forwards to touch matilda's arm. "about anything. whether it's that night, or school, or, i don't know, a boy," she mused.

"why would there be a boy?" tillie asked, almost immediately.

chrissy raised her hands in the air in mock defense. "i don't know, tils. you're a pretty girl.."

"didn't we already have the boyfriend talk the other day?" tillie questioned, brows lightly furrowed.

"yeah, but.."

"but what, chrissy?" tillie asked, way too harshly. "there are no boys in my life. in fact, there's no one in my life other than you. so, there you go, that's my sad life, okay? that's the life of matilda cunningham, the older sister of the head cheerleader and little miss popular. i'm an unstable, emotional mess who feels like she's losing her mind more and more everyday. and i'm most certainly not fine," matilda exclaimed, her mind running quicker than her head. "so, no, there are no boys in my life."

chrissy swallowed, her gaze stern on her sisters face, as tillie realized everything she'd just said. "can i hug you?"

physical touch had been something matilda was very wary of since the incident. she'd never been a super touchy person, but now more than ever.

matilda bit her lip and looked down, shaking her head lightly. "please just go."

📻🪐🏹

FEBRUARY 6TH, 1986
📍 hawkins high school
17:37 PM

"earth to eddie.." dustin repeated, waving his hand in front of the boy's face, who seemed deep in thought. "eddie.. eddie goddamn munson!"

eddie stirred from his thoughts of a certain short, blonde girl. "hm?"

"dude, what is up with you?" gareth asked him, his voice a mix of annoyance and concern. "you've been zoning out all week."

"ever before he would do it," jeff chimed in.

"i'm a daydreamer. it's not rare," eddie tried to defend himself, before averting the attention back to the board in front of them. "um, anyways, whose go is it? wheeler?"

"i've already been," mike informed him.

"oh," eddie sighed. "well, what.. what did you roll?"

"a six.."

eddie leaned over the table, trying to remember what last happened in the game.

"why are you game master again?" dustin groaned, his head in hands.

"shut up, henderson," eddie hissed. "um, so wheeler is getting close to the thessel hydra. risky business.."

📻🪐🏹

ugh can they just admit they love each other already 🙄
jkjk they are not getting together that quickly

any uk ppl been watching love island?? because i'm literally obsessed with it help

also, the dates i use probably don't match up. i honestly just use random dates and it's just to show the timeframe this story roughly takes place in they are not accurate whatsoever lmaoo

i've heard a lot of theories about eddie dying, and honestly, as much as i hope he won't, some of them make a lot of sense 😢

but don't worry, matiddie will get their happily ever after

or will they?..

WORD COUNT — 1035.