040.

MARCH 22ND, 1986
📍reefer rick's boathouse
14:57 PM

"i don't know about you guys, but i need to get back to work," steve announced, standing up.

"i'm fifteen, steve," dustin replied. "i don't work."

"i worked when i was your age," steve told the curly haired boy. "get your shit together, man."

it was a few hours later, and after her crying session matilda and eddie had returned to the others and were now sat together on the floor, her head leant on his shoulder.

robin stood up and stretched. "as much as i hate agreeing with the dingus, we do have to go back to work or we'll both get fired."

"you three should go back too," eddie said, referring to dustin, max and tillie. "it's spring break, you shouldn't be spending it in here with me hiding from the cops. get out there and do whatever it is you kids do."

"'whatever you kids do'," max repeated. "that makes you sound like a grandpa."

"he basically is," tillie mumbled into eddie's shoulder, making the boy roll his eyes.

"i don't mind keeping you company, eddie," dustin said. "i could go home and get my d and d board if you wanted."

"honestly, man, don't waste your break on me," eddie told him. "go have fun."

dustin stared at him blankly. "if you want me to leave, you can just say so."

the four of them got ready to leave, whilst matilda talked to eddie.

"can i stay here with you?" she asked him, her body still resting on his. "i really can't be at home right now with all this going on. and like i said earlier, you comfort me and you keep me sane and well, frankly.. you're the only person i have left."

"course you can stay with me," he said quietly. "at least if you're here, i know you're safe."

tillie smiled into his shoulder. "thank you."

"tillie, you coming?" steve asked, walking over to them.

"i'm going to stay with eddie," she answered. "keep him company."

"o-okay. um, guess we'll see you two later then," he nodded, turning to the others. "let's go."

"stay safe," she called back to them.

they began to walk out, dustin muttering, "don't you think it's weird he wants all of us, except tillie, gone? i mean, i've got to admit i'm a little hurt."

"he has a crush on her," max replied, closing the door behind her. "get over it."

📻🪐🏹

MARCH 22ND, 1986
📍reefer rick's boathouse
23:07 PM

matilda sat with her back against the boat, doodling chrissy on a scrap of paper she'd found. meanwhile, eddie sat opposite her, throwing a ball into the air and watching her.

she yawned widely. "tired?" he asked with a smile.

"no," she replied, before yawning again. "definitely not," she smiled sleepily.