014.

FEBRUARY 11TH, 1986
📍hawkins high school
10:12 AM

the girls changing rooms were not a fun place to be, especially for someone as self-conscious as matilda.

she stood in the corner, covering herself up as much as possible as she changed from her jumper and jeans into a pe top and shorts.

as she was putting her shoes back on, one of the other girls began speaking to her. "matilda, i saw you talking to the freak the other day. what's that about? is he your boyfriend or something?" the girl, louise, asked with a judging laugh.

tillie furrowed her brows, tying her laces. "who?"

"she means eddie munson," chrissy informed her from beside her.

"oh," matilda said. "no, he's not my boyfriend. we've just been partnered up for this assignment in mr dorton's class, so.."

"okay, good," louise replied. "i was seriously worried for you. i mean, who would even date him? he's such a weirdo."

chrissy watched her sister's expression fall, as she nodded lightly in agreement with louise. "right," tillie said.

before any more words could be spoken, the pe teacher, mr angel, who most certainly was not an angel, entered the changing room nonchalantly. "alright, girls. head outside. we're doing running today! no complaints or excuses will be heard."

many girls groaned, but matilda was thrilled. running was one of the only sports she was actually decent at, other than netball and dancing.

they began heading outside onto one of the sports fields, and some girls squealed upon seeing the boys playing soccer, one of the teams completely shirtless.

"jason's playing with a shirt," chrissy sighed, pointing at her boyfriend from across the field. jason seemed to be in a heated argument with one of the members from the opposing team, a shirtless eddie munson.

jason turned, noticing the girls appear on the field. he found chrissy and waved at her, as eddie found his girl and winked at her, making her look down, a light flush on her cheeks.

chrissy saw the whole, second-long interaction between her sister and the munson boy. "you okay? you've gone all red."

"hm? oh, i'm- i'm just hot, that's all. it's a warm day."

📻🪐🏹

FEBRUARY 11TH, 1986
📍hawkins high school
10:43 AM

teenage girls do not enjoy running laps around a field, even if the middle of the field is full of shirtless boys. many of the girls had now resorted to casually strolling around and gawking at the boys, and chrissy and matilda were now some of the only ones still running.

"you seemed in a happier mood last night," chrissy commented. "something happen?"

matilda shook her head as she jogged alongside her twin. "no, nothing. i've just been sleeping better recently, i guess."

"okay," chrissy hummed, picking up her pace. "race you to that post."

"oh, it's on," matilda smiled, beginning to sprint.

a short while later, and now even the cunningham twins were walking, sipping on their water bottles as they made light conversation. chrissy was updating tillie on all the latest cheerleader drama.

"so, then i said to catherine that i'm the head cheerleader not her, and then she just got all bitchy and started—"

"hey, mattie!" eddie hollered, gesturing to the ball that was rolling towards her.

realizing what he was insinuating, tillie grabbed the ball from the ground and gently threw it back to him, as chrissy watched the two of them.

"thanks, princess," he replied, throwing the ball back into the game and running off.

chrissy furrowed her brows, facing her sister. "did i hear that correctly? did he just call you mattie? and princess?"

"what? no," matilda answered with a small scoff. "he called me matilda."

"no, he didn't," chrissy stated firmly. "he definitely called you mattie."

"he definitely didn't," matilda tried to convince her. "he called me matilda. no one has ever called me mattie. my nickname is either tillie or tils."

"okay, well he definitely called you princess," chrissy said. "what's that about?"

"um," tillie started, unsure of how to get out of this one. "i don't know. ask him."

📻🪐🏹

FEBRUARY 11TH, 1986
📍 hawkins high school
13:41 PM

"so, i was thinking, what about a scrapbook?"

"a scrapbook?" tillie raised a brow at eddie's suggestion.

"why not?" eddie asked. "you said you used to scrapbook when you were younger. we can doing little drawing, and find clippings from newspapers and textbooks. it'll be great."

"okay, i'm sold," matilda caved in. "scrapbook it is."

mr dorton looked over at them, thrilled his two students were getting along again. in fact, they seemed to be getting a lot even better than they were before.

"aren't i such a genius?" eddie said, leaning back on his chair casually.

"i wouldn't go that far."

"genius eddie: activated," he continued with a smirk.

"more like pompous eddie," tillie replied, making his jaw drop.

"i'm not pompous," eddie argued earnestly, a light sarcasm to his tone. "it's called being self-aware. you should try it sometime."

"okay, what should i be alert of about myself then?" matilda asked.

without a second thought, eddie answered. "that you're perfect just the way you are."

📻🪐🏹

eddie: 😍🫶❤️🥰
tillie: 😳🫶🤭❤️
chrissy: 👀🤔🕵️‍♀️
mr dorton: 🥹👍

this chapter was kind of short i apologise!

THEYRE GOING TO SCRAPBOOK TOGETHER HSGVHJSHBDSG
obsessed with them honestly 💞

WORD COUNT — 888.